Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've been writing my personal statement for a while now and i was just wondering if there are any generic do's and dont's. I am applying for straight Psychology BSc.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambergraver)
    Hi everyone,

I've been writing my personal statement for a while now and i was just wondering if there are any generic do's and dont's. I am applying for straight Psychology BSc.

Thank you.
    - Do: emphasise why you are interested in the course and personal qualities which make you suitable for it
    - Do: end it as positively as you started it, and don't allow the quality to drop at the end. Keep it positive and strong throughout!

- Don't: start off with a generic introductory sentence which lots of people are likely to use, such as "From a young age I have been interested in..."
    - Don't: include things which aren't relevant, and keep talking about things like hobbies to a minimum, as this wastes valuable characters and lines. For each thing you talk about, ask yourself 'does this really matter?'

Good luck with your application!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ambergraver)
    Hi everyone,

Thank you.
    http://university.which.co.uk/advice...ology-students

ReputationRep:
    Don't use the word passion in the first paragraph
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    There's also an article on the wiki about how to write a psychology PS (check the links below in my signature)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    - Do: emphasise why you are interested in the course and personal qualities which make you suitable for it
    - Do: end it as positively as you started it, and don't allow the quality to drop at the end. Keep it positive and strong throughout!

- Don't: start off with a generic introductory sentence which lots of people are likely to use, such as "From a young age I have been interested in..."
    - Don't: include things which aren't relevant, and keep talking about things like hobbies to a minimum, as this wastes valuable characters and lines. For each thing you talk about, ask yourself 'does this really matter?'

Good luck with your application!

Thank you! i think the statement is pretty clear and on track at the moment, i've made an appointment with the head of my college's Alevels, and should be sending it to a few teachers soon

ReputationRep:
    Don't turn the word 'do' into plural with an apostrophe before the s, it can never be done that way. This is actually a nationwide issue, one of my hobbies is to look for ads in the commercial break where there is a mention of Terms & Conditions at the bottom to check who is using a proper agency and who isn't and there is widespread confusion on the subject: most household names have it properly condensed into T&Cs but there are some big names who pay for their T&C's. Don't we refer to MPs instead of MP's, GPs instead of GP's?

Sorry if it sounds pedantic but it's all I could think of that could be of real help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    There's also an article on the wiki about how to write a psychology PS (check the links below in my signature)
    im writing my PS

my 3 body paragraphs are about psychology and another paragraph on extra curricular which isnt actually relevent to psychology like volunteering and peer mentor. do you think i should replace that paragraph of EC with another psychology related paragraph about what i found interesting? or would it look like i was trying to put too much psychology in there? i have a topic i want to talk about but have no more room and im not keen on the EC paragraph.

hhellppp?? my psychology teacher is absolute fart and didnt even bother giving feedback.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It doesn't need replacing, but depending on the length you may want to condense it and talk more about your interests in psychology

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.