Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I ultimately want to train as a solicitor. But I'm not really looking for advice here but more the strengths and weaknesses of my situation as im currently in a bit of a rut and feel like I need outsiders perspectives if or, if anything, reassurance or constructive advice.
    So I'm 22 years old and in the second year of my LLB. I did a gap year when I left school - I went to dulwich college in london and achieved ABB. I went to lancaster university for one year where I studied spanish and philosophy but I dropped out after the year. This was because I was an alcoholic. I developed a rare (for my age) physical dependency to alcohol which meant any amount of alcohol would trigger violent withdrawal symtoms and I would require hospitalisation to stop drinking. Scary I know. So uni wasn't the right place for me. I took a year out where I got a job in retail, voplunteered at my local school and did various other things before deciding I wanted to pursue a career in law. I enrolled on the open university's LLB.
    I am no in my second year and still work in retail and am also training as an adviser with the CAB. I also have my dad who has many contacts in the law so securing work experience in firms will not be a problem.
    However I am concerned that firms will not consider me because a) I have essentially a two year gap on my CV and b) they May consider an OU LLB as inferior although given my situation I had little alternative as going back to uni so early in my sobriety was risky. So my question is, how do I eloquently explain this situation on my CV? Also with a strong degree class, my a levels and work experience in firms and the Advice bureau do you think I stand any chance of getting a training contract or shall I look down other routes? I'm a realist and know that TCs are hard to come by so am I wasting my time by pursuing one when I'm likely to be rejected based on the factors i outlined? Any help would be very very appreciated.
    Thankyou!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.