Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP! Dropping Subject Advice watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Drop Law or Re Sit It?
    Drop
    0%
    Re Sit
    100.00%

ReputationRep:
    Ok,

So I am a second year college student and am currently taking 4 subjects. I want to study law at uni. I'm in a really difficult position because last year in my AS', I messed up my law; It was a complete fluke (I got A's in every other mock and revised so hard but freaked in the exam) and got a D. This means I have to re sit. In my other 3 I got A A B and so obviously the logical thing (ish) to do would be to drop law. However, if I do; it will show on my UCAS application when applying for law. How much would this affect my chances of getting a space on a uni course? HELP; what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    That's a tough situation if your thinking about the top top universities that may put you at a disadvantage however! keep in mind that there are people doing law degrees that never done the A level so really its not a problem plus you already have AAB so your fine. I'd say apply anyway, your UCAS application will show that your resitting the exam you got a D in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nayana71)
    That's a tough situation if your thinking about the top top universities that may put you at a disadvantage however! keep in mind that there are people doing law degrees that never done the A level so really its not a problem plus you already have AAB so your fine. I'd say apply anyway, your UCAS application will show that your resitting the exam you got a D in.
    Thank you; what I mean also though is that I kinda need to drop a subject to balance the workload; and my tutor thinks dropping law would be best...

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbbym)
    Thank you; what I mean also though is that I kinda need to drop a subject to balance the workload; and my tutor thinks dropping law would be best...

What do you think?
    In your current situation, yes I would drop it, even if it shows on your ucas application, admission tutors cannot refuse your entry even if it was in the subject your applying to, because there are no specific subjects needed to study law I'm guessing what you cover in your A-level you will also cover in your first year of your degree so it doesn't matter whether you drop it or not, also they look at your top 3 grades and you have AAB which is amazing! so avoid the stress of having to retake along side your other exams at the end of the year and focus on getting those A's to A*s

ReputationRep:
    Not sure on this , but surprisingly law at a-level isn't regarded highly at all. If someone were to do History or English , it would be much better when applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    Not sure on this , but surprisingly law at a-level isn't regarded highly at all. If someone were to do History or English , it would be much better when applying.
    Other subjects that I study are English, History and Sociology; all of which I got A's or B's in...I'm concerned if I dropped law they would reject me because they would see the D on my UCAS application. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Other subjects that I study are English, History and Sociology; all of which I got A's or B's in...I'm concerned if I dropped law they would reject me because they would see the D on my UCAS application. What do you think?
    Since it's not seen as being important , they probably wont mind. ( sorry not an expert)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A-level Law isn't a requirement (and oftentimes it's looked down on) to study law at university. I'd just focus on your other three subjects, and apply to universities that correspond to your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    A-level Law isn't a requirement (and oftentimes it's looked down on) to study law at university. I'd just focus on your other three subjects, and apply to universities that correspond to your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you think the universities seeing the D on my application and the fact that I dropped the subject would mark me down for that?

I feel like dropping law would be best but I don't want to ruin future oppurtunities
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Do you think the universities seeing the D on my application and the fact that I dropped the subject would mark me down for that?

I feel like dropping law would be best but I don't want to ruin future oppurtunities
    No, the offers are based on 3 A-levels in most cases. The dropped subject won't have much of an effect on your otherwise decent results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.