Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What Art-Based Subject to take at A-Level? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about swapping career aspirations from a Forensic Psychologist to an Interior Designer. However, this means that I need to take an Art-Based subject at A-Level in order to be accepted at University.

What Art-Based subject do you think would be better suited for this job and if you have taken (or currently taking) this particular subject recommendation, then please can you tell me your views/experiences on the subject with regards to the 'work load' and expectations.

Thank you in advance x

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I don't have any personal experience but there are a few people in my year that want to be interior designers and they seem to have gone for a combination of art and/or graphics, both being coursework heavy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am the admissions tutor for 3D Design at Plymouth Uni, which includes Spatial & Interiors, and I'd like to help by describing how some A levels are relevant than others.

Design Technology is most appropriate as it helps you develop a portfolio, which will help you at your interview.

These A levels also contribute:
    Photography (to show communication through images)
    Art & Design (sketching, hands-on making & show sense of aesthetics)
    Business (to understand USPs and be a future entrepreneur)
    History (interest in referring to other designs, to know your own identity)
    Maths (to help you think logically)
    Physics (to be brave to invent)
    Chemistry (ability to juggle multiple thinking)
    Geography (ability to observe and make deductions)

Some universities, including ourselves, put interviews first, as it is the best way of hearing how an applicant can talk about their passion for design.

Hope this is helpful.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.