Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm thinking of incorporating squats into my leg day , but I'm scared that doing them too heavy may cause me to become shorter is this true ??

ReputationRep:
    If you think it will make u a faster sprinter, u might be disappointed. I increased my one rep max by 100 pounds, it only made me 0.1 seconds faster.

ReputationRep:
    No, that is a myth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlos10000)
    If you think it will make u a faster sprinter, u might be disappointed. I increased my one rep max by 100 pounds, it only made me 0.1 seconds faster.
    What is your 100m time and your 1RM?

ReputationRep:
    1rm 330 lbs, time 13.3

ReputationRep:
    Angry cucumber Is this what you guys have to deal with??

Won't make you shorter mate. Get squatting!

ReputationRep:
    1rm 330 lbs, time 13.3
    I don't know anything about squats and its relation to 100m training, but surely because the 100m is an explosive event, then you would want to do high reps with explosiveness at the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    Nah it won't make you shorter, but make sure you have good form and don't ego lift...I thought I could squat more than I could and ending up injuring my knees, It's been about 2 months since I've squatted now

ReputationRep:
    1rm 330 lbs, time 13.3
    How deep do you squat?

Are you a sprinter?

I'm quite confused as to how a 40kg increase in squat (I assume muscle was added to quad/ham/glutes) only affected your sprint by 0.1s, providing you were still sprinting alongside squats?

Training specificity and all that I suppose..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    I don't know anything about squats and its relation to 100m training, but surely because the 100m is an explosive event, then you would want to do high reps with explosiveness at the bottom.
    Sports scientists think by increasing 1rm it makes it easier to do high r e p work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    Nah it won't make you shorter, but make sure you have good form and don't ego lift...I thought I could squat more than I could and ending up injuring my knees, It's been about 2 months since I've squatted now
    How did that happen?

ReputationRep:
    How did that happen?
    No idea I've been squatting ever since I started weight training. Then one day about two months ago, I hit the gym after work and started squatting. Felt sharp pain in my left knee and couldn't continue, so I just left it and figured it was just one of those things and It'll be okay the following week. Nope. The next week it was both knees, now every time I try to squat, even without any weight and just the bar my knees just start aching

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    No idea I've been squatting ever since I started weight training. Then one day about two months ago, I hit the gym after work and started squatting. Felt sharp pain in my left knee and couldn't continue, so I just left it and figured it was just one of those things and It'll be okay the following week. Nope. The next week it was both knees, now every time I try to squat, even without any weight and just the bar my knees just start aching
    That really doesn't sound good. I don't know how that would happen tbh.

Too narrow stance?
    Knees caving in during the squat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    How deep do you squat?

Are you a sprinter?

I'm quite confused as to how a 40kg increase in squat (I assume muscle was added to quad/ham/glutes) only affected your sprint by 0.1s, providing you were still sprinting alongside squats?

Training specificity and all that I suppose..
    I have given up on sprinting and moved to distance running, it really is very hard to improve speed, the weight training a sprinter does really only helps in the acceleration phase, the first 40 metres, after that its about your god given top speed and how long you can hold on.

ReputationRep:
    I have given up on sprinting and moved to distance running, it really is very hard to improve speed, the weight training a sprinter does really only helps in the acceleration phase, the first 40 metres, after that its about your god given top speed and how long you can hold on.
    Yeah I can imagine. I squat quite explosively, no matter how heavy it is I always burst upwards as hard as I can, it may be anecdotal but I feel it translates to my sprinting as well. (Although I haven't ran more than 50m for a while)

ReputationRep:
    That really doesn't sound good. I don't know how that would happen tbh.

Too narrow stance?
    Knees caving in during the squat?
    No idea man, my form has always been fine I think, otherwise I think I would have had problems earlier. Almost 4 years into lifting and I've only started having problems two months ago. Ahh well, guess I'll just settle for leg press for now

ReputationRep:
    The only way it makes you permanently shorter is if it damages your skeletal structure because you actually injured yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    No idea man, my form has always been fine I think, otherwise I think I would have had problems earlier. Almost 4 years into lifting and I've only started having problems two months ago. Ahh well, guess I'll just settle for leg press for now
    Does the leg press not absolutely destroy your knees?

Could be a quad/hamstring imbalance due to not squatting deep enough?

ReputationRep:

I think you're not meant to extend your legs all the way when you leg press. Leg press is way more awkward than squats when it gets heavy because of that initial large push you have to exert to get the machine in motion.

ReputationRep:

I always went atleast 90 degrees but usually lower. I don't know, I think it depends on the machine as they're not all built the same etc. I only actually feel the pain when squatting (or picking up weight from the floor) any other exercise is fine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.