Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

They are about to promote the wrong person watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So ive started a job in a supermarket as a stock assistant. Me and another guy both started at the same time. To say the least, he progressed very slowly compared to me. I am quicker and just simply 3x better at the role of a stock assistant than he is. So because he was not that good on the stock part (his role) they placed him on tills. He is average on tills at the moment and works on tills most of his days in work. I rarely ever go on tills so he is obviously better than me at till work. He keeps asking me for help on where items are. He cant help customers because he knows where nothing is in the store still and 5 minute jobs take him 20 minutes.

So simply, managers wont give me the promotion because im bad at tills and he is better than me. They say i don't follow till procedures and he does thats why he might get promoted and not me.

I would be ok with him getting promoted if he was better at HIS job (stock work) but he isn't. Hes better on me than tills which i rarely get exposure to...

Does anyone else think this is unfair?

He is getting promoted and praised for being better than me on tills which is not what he was hired for. The promotion is an extra 1 pounds per hour on top of our wages.

I'm tempted to speak to the manager about this but i don't know what to say. What would others do in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaqk)
    So ive started a job in a supermarket as a stock assistant. Me and another guy both started at the same time. To say the least, he progressed very slowly compared to me. I am quicker and just simply 3x better at the role of a stock assistant than he is. So because he was not that good on the stock part (his role) they placed him on tills. He is average on tills at the moment and works on tills most of his days in work. I rarely ever go on tills so he is obviously better than me at till work. He keeps asking me for help on where items are. He cant help customers because he knows where nothing is in the store still and 5 minute jobs take him 20 minutes.

So simply, managers wont give me the promotion because im bad at tills and he is better than me. They say i don't follow till procedures and he does thats why he might get promoted and not me.

I would be ok with him getting promoted if he was better at HIS job (stock work) but he isn't. Hes better on me than tills which i rarely get exposure to...

Does anyone else think this is unfair?

He is getting promoted and praised for being better than me on tills which is not what he was hired for. The promotion is an extra 1 pounds per hour on top of our wages.

I'm tempted to speak to the manager about this but i don't know what to say. What would others do in this situation?
    Ask your manager to split your duties half tills, half stock to prove that you should be promoted.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, they don't put me on tills. The reason why they hired 2 stock workers is because they needed stock workers asap. So i cant really go on till because stock needs working... this is the situation im in...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's a till promotion. He's better at tills. Stop being jealous, concentrate on your own job, and work hard. If it's a stock promotion then you'd deserve it, but it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaqk)
    The thing is, they don't put me on tills. The reason why they hired 2 stock workers is because they needed stock workers asap. So i cant really go on till because stock needs working... this is the situation im in...
    You need to switch roles with the other guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It's a till promotion. He's better at tills. Stop being jealous, concentrate on your own job, and work hard. If it's a stock promotion then you'd deserve it, but it isn't.
    What a ridiculous response.

The other guy was placed on the tills because he wasn't good at his original job of stock loading. How is fair that he should get a promotion as a result of his lack of skill, and the correlative lack of exposure the OP has to using tills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Did you even read the post
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tehforum)
    What a ridiculous response.

The other guy was placed on the tills because he wasn't good at his original job of stock loading. How is fair that he should get a promotion as a result of his lack of skill, and the correlative lack of exposure the OP has to using tills?
    Everyone has different skills. Using your logic, David Beckham should get the till promotion because he's better at football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Everyone has different skills. Using your logic, David Beckham should get the till promotion because he's better at football.
    No. He was employed to do one job which as the OP stated was urgent, and he failed. He should've been fired, but the employer has been kind to him.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No. He was employed to do one job which as the OP stated was urgent, and he failed. He should've been fired, but the employer has been kind to him.
    And they're found he's good at that job, and he doesn't whine about his colleagues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    And they're found he's good at that job, and he doesn't whine about his colleagues
    > implying the OP wouldn't be just as good as the other person had he had exposure to tills
    > implying whining about colleagues when justified is bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaqk)
    managers wont give me the promotion because im bad at tills and he is better than me. They say i don't follow till procedures and he does thats why he might get promoted and not me.
    You have to learn to follow till procedures.

it's really irritating, but I bet you can be better than him on the till with half the experience. Just try a bit harder.

They do love their procedures...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Promotions don't always go to the people that deserve them, OP. Your colleague is clearly better at sucking up to the managers than you. It sucks but that's how workplaces operate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    He isn't good at the job. Hes average. I could be on his level with one full week on tills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMagic)
    Promotions don't always go to the people that deserve them, OP. Your colleague is clearly better at sucking up to the managers than you. It sucks but that's how workplaces operate.
    Er no, OP made no mention of the colleague sucking up to the managers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMagic)
    He doesnt suck up to managers either. Matter of fact. one of the managers told me on the 1st-2nd week that he wont be here for very long due to the way he works,
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Shaqk)
    He isn't good at the job. Hes average. I could be on his level with one full week on tills.
    Anyone could say that. I can say I'm going to be as good as David Beckham within a week. What matters is what you do, and you don't follow procedures. Why would they promote you when you don't do as you're told, can't be trusted, and seem full of yourself? They're better off leaving you doing stock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Anyone could say that. I can say I'm going to be as good as David Beckham within a week. What matters is what you do, and you don't follow procedures. Why would they promote you when you don't do as you're told, can't be trusted, and seem full of yourself? They're better off leaving you doing stock.
    ayy lmao

you didn't reply to my post

Also, read the OPs post above re: the manager commenting on the colleagues performance
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    ayy lmao

you didn't reply to my post

Also, read the OPs post above re: the manager commenting on the colleagues performance
    So when he was doing the old role, which everyone admits he wasn't good at, his performance wasn't very good. This means that now he's doing a new role, which everyone admits he is better at, he shouldn't get a promotion even though he's better. Because this makes complete sense.

Or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    He really is average. Due to us having systems that monitor till speed, how much his till is under. performance etc. Hes average.

Ive started to follow procedures now, but you cant get pissed at someone for not following procedures when hes only been doing a task 4 times and not for long periods of time at that.

How can i not be trusted?

I don't seem full of myself. Its just that im a better worker than him at doing HIS job. the reason why he isn't fired is because hes 2x years old and he needs the money..

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.