Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Graduated (council tax) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there my friend graduates this summer he wants to know if he has to pay council tax when he moves back in with his parents. His mother works and pays council tax. Will he need to if he is unemployed at the time? Also will I need to pay it when I move back in with my parents I have a 12 hr week job will I need to pay full or part amount. When do councils ask?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    How many adults are there in each house? If there's already 2, another adult won't change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    How many adults are there in each house? If there's already 2, another adult won't change it.
    My dad but he does not work atm so he isn't paying it my brother as well but he is at uni for another 3 yrs. My friend has the same as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    Hi there my friend graduates this summer he wants to know if he has to pay council tax when he moves back in with his parents. His mother works and pays council tax. Will he need to if he is unemployed at the time? Also will I need to pay it when I move back in with my parents I have a 12 hr week job will I need to pay full or part amount. When do councils ask?
    You won't get a bill, no, it will still be addressed to your parents. Obviously its up to them if they pass on some of the cost to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    You won't get a bill, no, it will still be addressed to your parents. Obviously its up to them if they pass on some of the cost to you.
    One of my parents works the other doesn't. Will I still be exempt?

ReputationRep:
    Check whether your parents get a discount, they should know this. I thought someone who didn't work was still eligible and so adding another adult wouldn't make a difference. You will certainly be eligible if that's what you're asking. If your parents get a discount then when you move in their bill will increase, the discount is usually 25% so the bill would go up to the standard total. The bill is for the household so it would go to your parents and it would be up to them whether they wanted you to contribute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    Each house has a standard rate of tax based on its value. The council starts by assuming that there are two or more qualifying adults living there. If so, they send a bill for the full amount.

So a two-parent household pays the full rate unless they can claim some rebate because they have a low income. (or one parent is a student etc)

A working single-parent household is trickier. A single adult living alone can claim a 25% reduction. A student son/daughter is not a 'qualifying adult' and so you still get the reduction. But once they leave Uni the parent loses the discount.

Because the son/daughter is not legally a dependant, the parent can apply for a lower discount but that is now at the council's discretion and usually refused. That was one of the early welfare cuts of the previous government.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.