Turn on thread page Beta

What should I do about my lazy colleague? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I joined my current company 2 months ago. I'm in a small team of around 4 with a flat structure, meaning we all report to the same boss. However, my role is a more senior role (more pay, requires more experience, more senior in companies with a hierarchy) and the others do more junior and basic tasks.

I was to get an understanding of their work so that I can see how it fits in with my work and if I were to become their manager, I would know what they do (me and my boss know this, not them). Anyway, one of them is off and the remaining 2 of us are to cover the work. The other person has just been talking all day (I'm talking literally 2-3 hours of chat in a 7.5 hour day) and could easily have done some of the colleague who's away's work, whereas I've been busy and had to stay late today.

The talky girl for some reason tries to boss me around, even though I'm in a more experienced role and that she isn't my boss (considers herself to be the boss's second, whether true or not, due to being there for like 10 years). Today she was trying to get me to do some of the work but I told her I didn't think I was doing it and I'd check with the manager. I know she's going to wait until tomorrow when she has her own backlog to deal with (because she just talked today...) to justify trying to get me to cover the other colleague's work. I raised this with my manager today and she said don't do any of that work, I've got other things to do. So that's sorted

But basically this woman's attitude is getting on my nerves. She thinks too highly of herself for what she does, is reasonable at her job (but who wouldn't be after 10 years) but not fantastic, and tries to boss me around. I've been tempted to say when she asks if I can do something 'can't you? you would've had time if you weren't chatting all of yesterday' but we get along ok (apart from the work) otherwise and I'm still new so don't want to have a bitter work relationship with her. I'm sure my boss would back me up to some degree but it's more I don't want to have her resent me when we have to work together.

Long story short: my colleague tries to boss me around and is lazy, I want to call it out but I'm still new and don't want to push it as we have to work together. I don't think it would look good if I had to tell on her to my boss every time and my boss has better things to do than mediate this. Suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Umbra)
    I joined my current company 2 months ago. I'm in a small team of around 4 with a flat structure, meaning we all report to the same boss. However, my role is a more senior role (more pay, requires more experience, more senior in companies with a hierarchy) and the others do more junior and basic tasks.

I was to get an understanding of their work so that I can see how it fits in with my work and if I were to become their manager, I would know what they do (me and my boss know this, not them). Anyway, one of them is off and the remaining 2 of us are to cover the work. The other person has just been talking all day (I'm talking literally 2-3 hours of chat in a 7.5 hour day) and could easily have done some of the colleague who's away's work, whereas I've been busy and had to stay late today.

The talky girl for some reason tries to boss me around, even though I'm in a more experienced role and that she isn't my boss (considers herself to be the boss's second, whether true or not, due to being there for like 10 years). Today she was trying to get me to do some of the work but I told her I didn't think I was doing it and I'd check with the manager. I know she's going to wait until tomorrow when she has her own backlog to deal with (because she just talked today...) to justify trying to get me to cover the other colleague's work. I raised this with my manager today and she said don't do any of that work, I've got other things to do. So that's sorted

But basically this woman's attitude is getting on my nerves. She thinks too highly of herself for what she does, is reasonable at her job (but who wouldn't be after 10 years) but not fantastic, and tries to boss me around. I've been tempted to say when she asks if I can do something 'can't you? you would've had time if you weren't chatting all of yesterday' but we get along ok (apart from the work) otherwise and I'm still new so don't want to have a bitter work relationship with her. I'm sure my boss would back me up to some degree but it's more I don't want to have her resent me when we have to work together.

Long story short: my colleague tries to boss me around and is lazy, I want to call it out but I'm still new and don't want to push it as we have to work together. I don't think it would look good if I had to tell on her to my boss every time and my boss has better things to do than mediate this. Suggestions?
    Actually I think it is essential that your boss sorts this out. You note that you're in a small team, so one person not pushing their weight which negatively impacts on your work is unacceptable. Your boss needs to have a word with her.

ReputationRep:
    Get her fired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Actually I think it is essential that your boss sorts this out. You note that you're in a small team, so one person not pushing their weight which negatively impacts on your work is unacceptable. Your boss needs to have a word with her.
    Fair enough but I imagine it's been going on for a while (they've both been there 10+ years) so I can't see it happening any time soon. I guess if I just call out individual situations like this my manager might have a word because at this rate the work just won't get done

ReputationRep:
    How do you know she isn't paid more than you? Seriously it's not uncommon for your manager to tell each of you that you're paid more/more senior. Your manager might have given her the impression she is your superior.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Umbra)
    Fair enough but I imagine it's been going on for a while (they've both been there 10+ years) so I can't see it happening any time soon. I guess if I just call out individual situations like this my manager might have a word because at this rate the work just won't get done
    Id definitely have a word with your manager.
    Like the other person said, you work in a small team, so one person not pulling their weight has a big impact on everyone else and the work being done.
    It might work, it might not, but at least you can say you tried to get it sorted.

ReputationRep:
    talk to her about it in an inconspicuous/jokey way............ that way shell get what you mean and wont get in a snitchy relationship and you wone have to go to the boss

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.