Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Outline and evaluate the biological approach in psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Are you looking for advice on how to answer this question?

Or are you looking for someone to give you the answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capsfree)
    Outline means basically write down what the approach is. I assume this isn't too difficult.

Evaluate means give some strengths and weaknesses, so following your outline say something generic like 'the biological approach has both strengths and weaknesses. strengths include...'

you should have been taught the strengths and weaknesses of the various approaches, I can't remember exactly what you learn at A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capsfree)
    This isn't the type of question I'd get asked on Edexcel A Level Psychology but if I had to try to answer it, I'd do the outline first:

- key concepts within the approach such as the role of the CNS, genes and hormones on behaviour. maybe bring in the role of our biology including brain lateralisation in gender development
    - research methods used within the approach including the use of MRI and PET brain scanning techniques; the observational method is very important to biopsychology
    - maybe introduce the debate of 'nature vs nature' which is a prominant debate within psychology and discuss the biology approach's stance in the debate

then evaluate:

- evaluate brain scanning techniques i.e. in terms of reliability and validity
    - evaluate the observational method as it is used in biopsychology
    - evaluate the biological approach in terms of its scientific status

hope that gives you a rough idea of what to mention - ask your teacher for further guidance as I'm not familiar with this type of question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Sinnie_)
    Are you looking for advice on how to answer this question?

Or are you looking for someone to give you the answer?
    Advice

ReputationRep:
    outline- describe the approach in detail
    evaluate- give strengths and limitations of the approach. E.g. subjective/ real-life application/ doesn't take into account biological factors......
    good luck :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeinabbb)
    outline- describe the approach in detail
    evaluate- give strengths and limitations of the approach. E.g. subje ctive/ real-life application/ doesn't take into account biological factors......
    good luck :-)
    thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.