Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am considering taking Equine Science as a course at uni as in the future I would perhaps like to work with horses but was wondering whether I would be better off studying at college as Science isn't one of my most strongest subjects (I'm at a B/A grade GCSE but not sure whether I could make it A-level!) and I am still un-sure about whether I want to go to university or not. Does anyone take the course and tell me what it involves and whether it's worth taking or not?!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes there's options to do foundation degree courses with a top up which helps if you don't think you'll get in to the full degree...I know Notts Trent uni do this... And there are others too..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Totally not worth it. I went to an equine college for two years and gained absolutely nothing. Equine employers don't care for your degree they care if you are passionate and work hard. Stay in college, get your A levels and if you want to do a degree then do something non-horsey related or at least something interchangeable so that you have options if you change your mind. If you're desperate to work with horses straight away then get an apprenticeship and work your way up as it will save you a tonne of money in the long run and give you experience. A lot of employers will offer accommodation for apprentices and let you bring your own horse/dog. Just don't waste your money on a degree in anything specifically equine.

ReputationRep:
    While I understand where rgwx is coming from in that experience in the field is invaluable but I wouldn't say an equine degree is worthless. There's nothing wrong with taking a few years after A Levels to get an apprenticeship, get some industry experience and then choose if you want to go to uni or not.
    I guess it really depends on the job and career you see yourself doing, for example a nutritionist orgeneticist will almost definitely require a degree. There is a massive range of jobs in the equine industry to have a look at the roles and the requirements for each.

I did an Animal Science degree and there was an equine pathway available, I didn't take it but know people who did and they preferred that to an Equine Science degree as it was broader and could potentially open more doors at the end of it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.