The Student Room Group

Can I get into medicine with an application like this?

I have applied for Keele, Notts, Leicester and Liverpool.

I have 6A*, 5 A and 1 B at GCSE.

4 A's at AS in bio, chem, physics and math. Carrying on Bio chem and maths onto A2 with a* predictions.

UKCAT is 2500 total, 625 average, band 3 SJT (I know...)

I have one weeks' shadowing in a GP surgery, I volunteer for a mountain rescue group and also for the disabled. I am planning on getting more work experience at christmas, to hopefully talk about at interview. I also worked abroad building wells in the summer in Thailand.

Do you think I have any chances of getting shortlisted? I'm pretty dubious. Expecting 4 rejections.

Thanks guys
Reply 1
Notts is very unlikely unfortunately, as I was rejected with a much better UKCAT last year. Keele and Liverpool are possible though, depending on your personal statement :smile:
look AT NON UKCAT UNIS :smile:. livpool etc
Notts look at your UKCAT yes, but you're looking at 14/16 for your GCSEs (assuming you got at least a B in English, Maths and Sciences). That said, they do look at SJT and Band 3 may be a little low. Your predicted grades and AS are fantastic though (even though they don't look at the AS they're still impressive), so that could pull you through. Work experience-wise, it doesn't really matter how much you have - as long as your personal statement that links everything back to your own experiences and what you took from it. As long as all your extra-curricular bits explicitly link to skills for medicine, I don't think you should lose hope. I'm applying to Notts too, with AABC (resitting 2 modules in Chem eek), 685 av UKCAT, Band 1 SJT, A*AA predicted. I think our situations are the same but switched haha!! At the end of the day, you don't know what'll happen until you get an interview/offer/rejection so don't worry - what's done is done. You could always resit UKCAT next year :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by quirkyvictoria
Notts look at your UKCAT yes, but you're looking at 14/16 for your GCSEs (assuming you got at least a B in English, Maths and Sciences). That said, they do look at SJT and Band 3 may be a little low. Your predicted grades and AS are fantastic though (even though they don't look at the AS they're still impressive), so that could pull you through. Work experience-wise, it doesn't really matter how much you have - as long as your personal statement that links everything back to your own experiences and what you took from it. As long as all your extra-curricular bits explicitly link to skills for medicine, I don't think you should lose hope. I'm applying to Notts too, with AABC (resitting 2 modules in Chem eek), 685 av UKCAT, Band 1 SJT, A*AA predicted. I think our situations are the same but switched haha!! At the end of the day, you don't know what'll happen until you get an interview/offer/rejection so don't worry - what's done is done. You could always resit UKCAT next year :smile:

Thanks for the advice everyone! And good luck man:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending