Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished setting up the home internet network, should I do some penetration testing from an external computer to ensure the network is secure and can't be hacked?

Penetration testing is basically test hacking your own network to make sure it's secure, for those who are less educated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    you can penetrate me if you'd like?

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you use protection.

ReputationRep:
    Click-bait title

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    :lolwut:
    Google pen testing.

(Original post by sleepysnooze)
    No thanks! I am not experienced enough to perform penetration testing on external networks.

(Original post by DiddyDec)
    Make sure you use protection.
    I will be, I will ensure the testing I do doesn't harm the network.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget the lube!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icantfeelmyface)
    No thanks! I am not experienced enough to perform penetration testing on external networks.
    I'll show you, baby

I've just finished setting up the home internet network, should I do some penetration testing from an external computer to ensure the network is secure and can't be hacked?

Penetration testing is basically test hacking your own network to make sure it's secure, for those who are less educated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see what you did there.

ReputationRep:
    Internet safety is v. Important. :cyber:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I do that on my own network all the time. You can never be too careful these days, with all the Chinese hackers looking for vulnerable computers.

Probably better to penetrate your own network to find the weak spots than to wait for someone else to penetrate it for you who will actually exploit the weaknesses and take personal information, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    Yeah, I do that on my own network all the time. You can never be too careful these days, with all the Chinese hackers looking for vulnerable computers.

Probably better to penetrate your own network to find the weak spots than to wait for someone else to penetrate it for you who will actually exploit the weaknesses and take personal information, etc.
    Fantastic! Can you give me some advice on how I should come into my network?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic! Can you give me some advice on how I should come into my network?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, well, first of all, you need to use a computer that's outside your network with a different external IP. Maybe use the Wi-Fi at a friends's house or something to hack into your own network. That's the only way to see if people can get into your network from the outside.

Wireshark can be very helpful for penetration testing if you know how to read individual packets. Running a password cracker is also a good way to see if your password is secure enough. Oh, and definitely read up on recently discovered vulnerabilities in your browser and OS, see if you can do what's described yourself, and then figure out how to keep the vulnerabilities from being exploited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    LOL! Your profile picture fits perfectly with your comment :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    make sure your dongle is pushed all the way in :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I usually just try to stick my penis in the computer.

ReputationRep:
    if your dongle is loose you may not be able to complete your download :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    whats up with TSR users and their click bait titles today

ReputationRep:
    I'd change the title to "Should I Try Pen Testing?" to avoid any misunderstandings from the latest discussions lurkers.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I admit I laughed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.