Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I feel as though I have included all the information I would like to relay in my personal statement.
    Would I be at a disadvantage by leaving this box blank?

ReputationRep:
    You will not be disadvantaged in any way.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowie)
    I feel as though I have included all the information I would like to relay in my personal statement.
    Would I be at a disadvantage by leaving this box blank?
    im writing mine right now lol.
    You won't be disadvantaged but I feel like it will look good if you mention specific parts of the cambridge course inparticular that have made you applied. atleast it will look like you know what youve applied for if that makes sense? Also it might be beneficial to mention how the cambridge style of teaching (supervisions etc) attracts you

for e.g. im applying to HSPS and im gonna mention how the social and human aspects of the course will enhance my understanding of my preferred subject. Ive read natsci students say how they like being able to experience all the sciences at uni level etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timelizard)
    im writing mine right now lol.
    You won't be disadvantaged but I feel like it will look good if you mention specific parts of the cambridge course inparticular that have made you applied. atleast it will look like you know what youve applied for if that makes sense? Also it might be beneficial to mention how the cambridge style of teaching (supervisions etc) attracts you

for e.g. im applying to HSPS and im gonna mention how the social and human aspects of the course will enhance my understanding of my preferred subject. Ive read natsci students say how they like being able to experience all the sciences at uni level etc
    Unfortunately, that's exactly the sort of information Christ's AT said they wouldn't be interested in reading. It won't disadvantage you by writing it, but won't give you any advantage either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Unfortunately, that's exactly the sort of information Christ's AT said they wouldn't be interested in reading. It won't disadvantage you by writing it, but won't give you any advantage either.
    really? we've been told by our school to write it. I might mention it a little bit then.

ReputationRep:
    really? we've been told by our school to write it. I might mention it a little bit then.
    I'm pretty sure Christ's AT knows what he's talking about better than your school. He said it a few times in his last thread.
    I think the reason being that's one of the reasons many students choose to apply to Cambridge and they know it anyway, so it won't make you stands out among the crowds.

Edit: He also said MANY times he preferred it to be left blank if you don't have anything special to add to info already you provided in PS, etc.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    And almost every other school will be telling their applicants the same thing.

So your application will be the same as everyone else's...

As vincrows said - Christ's have said it's not necessary.

Peterhouse have said the same thing in their threads.

ReputationRep:
    On the basis that something that is useless and short will be better than something that is useless and long? The key word is "useless", of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    And almost every other school will be telling their applicants the same thing.

So your application will be the same as everyone else's...

As vincrows said - Christ's have said it's not necessary.

Peterhouse have said the same thing in their threads.
    I like the way you put extra space between each line. Very persuasive
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I never did like writing essays... LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I never did like writing essays... LOL.
    That was effective, though. Or at least I hope it was....

ReputationRep:
    You have to read between the lines to get the full message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You have to read between the lines to get the full message.
    Exactly. Hence my post above.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure Christ's AT knows what he's talking about better than your school. He said it a few times in his last thread.
    I think the reason being that's one of the reasons many students choose to apply to Cambridge and they know it anyway, so it won't make you stands out among the crowds.

Edit: He also said MANY times he preferred it to be left blank if you don't have anything special to add to info already you provided in PS, etc.
    I know, I wasn't questioning it, I was just surprised.

im just winging this entire thing tbh. if everything I write is useless, oh well

ReputationRep:
    if everything I write is useless, oh well
    Do you not think that you may be judged, as a candidate, on whether you exhibit sound judgement in what you consider important enough to write in the PS and SAQ?

ReputationRep:
    I know, I wasn't questioning it, I was just surprised.

im just winging this entire thing tbh. if everything I write is useless, oh well
    You can write it if it makes you feel more relaxed about it. And actually that's quite important thing; try to be as relaxed about it as possible.
    But if you don't write those things, you can use the time to something more useful, like revising the subjects.

ReputationRep:
    You can write it if it makes you feel more relaxed about it. And actually that's quite important thing; try to be as relaxed about it as possible.
    But if you don't write those things, you can use the time to something more useful, like revising the subjects.
    don't worry, i'll do both . But I do think that I'm meant to be writing stuff in my saq considering I'm applying for HSPS
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That was effective, though. Or at least I hope it was....
    PRSOM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Do you not think that you may be judged, as a candidate, on whether you exhibit sound judgement in what you consider important enough to write in the PS and SAQ?
    well obviously but it's not as if I'm waxing lyrical about my favourite food or something in my saq. What I write might not be of upmost importance but at the same time it's not total rubbish and irrelevant.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.