Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    I'm just wondering which of these schools would be the best, if you don't have any knowledge about the local laguage but still wan't to work in London.
    I assume
    Bocconi
    Essec
    -gap-
    RSM

Am I right?

ReputationRep:
    Bocconi for sure the best in terms of placement. They have a strong network in the city.

In general terms I would stick with HEC, Bocconi, HSG and SSE when it comes to european targets. Their are several others like ESCP, WHU, RSM, CBS with a good placement but not as good as the front row.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Even when you can't speak italian?
    I'm native german hence I try to get into HSG (Bocconi is my backup though).

However I'm really curious about WHU it's easier to get into than HSG, and since I'm german they would offer a bigger amount of job prospects (even when I'm only interested in UK). Isn't ESSEC better than ESCP or CBS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkey0110)
    Even when you can't speak italian?
    I'm native german hence I try to get into HSG (Bocconi is my backup though).

However I'm really curious about WHU it's easier to get into than HSG, and since I'm german they would offer a bigger amount of job prospects (even when I'm only interested in UK). Isn't ESSEC better than ESCP or CBS?
    PM you

ReputationRep:
    If you want to work in Finance, HEC and Bocconi are the best options, especially if you do their masters in finance. I don't think language is an issue if you are targeting London.

ReputationRep:
    Bocconi is a ****hole.
    Too many stupid Italians and rich kids with daddies credit card.
    Placement for bocconi may have been good some years ago, however that changed.
    if you are interested in working the uk later then go to a target uk uni. other bs with good placement: esade, ssm, hsg (sometimes), whu (no good placement in london, germany good)

ReputationRep:
    At the end you should also consider what kind of lifestyle you like. For example, I could never live in some small university village so I would go for a business school in one of the big cities in Europe. Schools like ESADE are good for management

ReputationRep:
    dont know where you have that information coming from - management at ESADE is maximum mediocre - low admission requirements etc.
    finance on the other side is much more competitive and has an excellent placement..
    Also have a look at the rankings!

ReputationRep:
    For which course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkey0110)
    Hey Guys,
    I'm just wondering which of these schools would be the best, if you don't have any knowledge about the local laguage but still wan't to work in London.
    I assume
    Bocconi
    Essec
    -gap-
    RSM

Am I right?
    For which course?

ReputationRep:
    Isnt ESSEC more reputed in france than ESCP? Isnt it among the top 3?

ReputationRep:
    If your target is London then Bocconi > Essec > RSM.
    Given the fact that you are german, SG seems to me a better choice than bocconi, since it has a good network in London as well, but it's stronger in Zurich/Frankfurt, which can be your back up choices.
    Bocconi has a good reputation in Europe as well (the german guys in my course at Bocconi ended up equally in Frankfurt and London) but as far as I know SG still enjoys a "premium" in the german speaking countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sertur91)
    If your target is London then Bocconi > Essec > RSM.
    Given the fact that you are german, SG seems to me a better choice than bocconi, since it has a good network in London as well, but it's stronger in Zurich/Frankfurt, which can be your back up choices.
    Bocconi has a good reputation in Europe as well (the german guys in my course at Bocconi ended up equally in Frankfurt and London) but as far as I know SG still enjoys a "premium" in the german speaking countries.
    Totally true, very little to add.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of overall brandname and presence in London, I'd probably say Bocconi>=Essec>>RSM.

I'm just somewhat uncomfortable with Bocconi's real academic standing. While it is definitely the best BS in Italy, one finds top graduates (who made the name what it is today) as well as some really lame students, whose admission process is imho questionable.

At any rate, ESSEC and BOCCONI have signed a double degree agreement, so you could end up doing both, if you are interested!
    http://www.unibocconi.eu/wps/wcm/con...+Double+Degree

ReputationRep:
    do not forget ESADE (disclaimer: current MSc Finance at ESADE here)

I don't know about the other masters, but the MSc Finance is very competitive to get into and people come with very strong backgrounds (most of them have 1/2 internships in IB already and come from undergrad target schools like HSG/Bocconi). Investment banks constantly come on campus to recruit, a lot of my friends have been fast tracked for MS and myself I just got an offer from a BB.

So in Europe I would say look at Bocconi/HSG/SSE/RSM/ESADE/HEC/ESCP/ESSEC/EDHEC, all are very good schools. Personally I want to be trilingual so I picked ESADE to learn Spanish seriously.

PS: I have several friends in management at ESADE and the master, although not fantastic, places very well at MBBs and other top consulting firms. McKinsey and others are doing events on campus literally every week here.

ReputationRep:
    Which program are you planning to do? (Management or Finance?)
    In general all of these Business School are ranked top for both Finance and Management.
    Regarding your question I would say ESSEC >= Bocconi > RSM.
    I know a lot of people working in Finance or Consulting in London who have previously studied at ESSEC.
    Most of them did the Master in Management at ESSEC as you have a high flexibility in this program and you can specialize in finance as well. In both Management and Finance ESSEC is the best ranked. Nonetheless, I would not purely rely on rankings as they do not include individual preferences.
    In my opinion all of these Unis are a good place to enforce your career in London. You should rather think about from which uni you can profit the most. For example improving your language skills (french/italien) or getting to know a new culture. Also you should check the courses and curriculum to see which program fits your personal needs better.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.canarywharfian.co.uk/thre...s.82/#post-443 - might be quite interesting for you.

All of the Universities mentioned will give you a good shoot in London. My personal favorites would be HSG/Bocconi/HEC/SSE.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do bba... so which would be the best bschool for me?

ReputationRep:
    BBA ESADE > BBA Bocconi according to me (most of the BBAs here go straight to Ibanking whilst if you look at Bocconi BBAs most of them do a Master from what I have seen)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliasGold)
    BBA ESADE > BBA Bocconi according to me (most of the BBAs here go straight to Ibanking whilst if you look at Bocconi BBAs most of them do a Master from what I have seen)
    What about the ESSEC GLOBAL BBA? Is that a good option?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.