Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What authors do you learn in an English degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would like to study English in uni. However, I would like to know what authors are worth having background knowledge on and that I can read about beforehand in order to make me fully prepared to study this course. In addition, do different uni's teach different authors?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't particularly matter. As long as you can talk about it, it's fine.

I wouldn't go for authors though. Try going for poets. Wordsworth, Coleridge, Auden, Blake, Larkin, Yeats, Chaucer to name a few. Good luck =)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Well in my PS, I mentioned EM Forster's Maurice, Milton's Paradise Lost, Gaskell's Ruth and Sophocles' Oedipus Rex. I say at least speak about the 3 main genres in literature. I varied mine as I have one based on morality in Ancient Greece, religion in the Restoration Era, identity and censorship in the Edwardian/modern period and sexuality in the Victorian era.

So I think as long as you pick interesting points about the texts you mention, you will be alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmrw)
    I would like to study English in uni. However, I would like to know what authors are worth having background knowledge on and that I can read about beforehand in order to make me fully prepared to study this course. In addition, do different uni's teach different authors?
    Yes, different units teach different authors.
    Check their websites for details.

But for background knowledge I would suggest :
    Chaucer
    Shakespeare
    Milton
    Wordsworth
    George Eliot
    Virginia Woolf
    James Joyce
    T.S. Eliot

I don't think you can go far wrong with those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancing sloth)
    Yes, different units teach different authors.
    Check their websites for details.

But for background knowledge I would suggest :
    Chaucer
    Shakespeare
    Milton
    Wordsworth
    George Eliot
    Virginia Woolf
    James Joyce
    T.S. Eliot

I don't think you can go far wrong with those.
    Very good list, will be repping this

I'd also recommend some American literature (Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Henry James, Poe). Maybe look at your universities you are interested in applying for, and look to see if you can find any course maps? might give you some more detail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHeroes94)
    Very good list, will be repping this

I'd also recommend some American literature (Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Henry James, Poe). Maybe look at your universities you are interested in applying for, and look to see if you can find any course maps? might give you some more detail
    Absolutely agree.
    Especially James.

(I love James :love: )
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by dancing sloth)
    Absolutely agree.
    Especially James.

(I love James :love: )
    I read Hemmingway's A Farewell to Arms... I will not be buying another book from his list any time soon! Couldn't stand that novel!

Hated Fitzgerald's TGG (despite giving it another go the 2nd time round). However, love his other two; Tender is the Night and The Beautiful and Damned. Those are awesome novels!

Bret Eaton Ellis and of course, John Steinbeck are also amazing American authors. Not to mention, William S. Burroughs too!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.