How could you improve the energy efficiency of a kettle?

Watch
Ben Johnson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks in advance!
Treblebee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't want to give the full answer, but just to give you a leg up...
-You want to think about two things in particular: what will help it to absorb as much heat as possible, and what will help it to retain that heat? Plus the safety features.
-Think about the shiny surface of a kettle. What do shiny surfaces do by way of radiation?
-Think about the black, plastic handle(this is a safety feature). How does its colour and the fact that it is plastic help to prevent our hands from burning?
- It might be a bit less obvious, but if the kettle is made from a shiny substance other than metal, how would this help( btw this is often the case with modern kettles)?

In questions like these, you need to think about the purpose of the item, its design, and often its safety features. Take into account all three of: conduction, convection and radiation.

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.04%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.5%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.7%

Watched Threads