Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hired out a venue for my birthday party but I have now chosen somewhere different. I paid a £160 deposit to the venue that is refundable after the event or if cancellation is due to the venue and not me. I need some ideas of ways to get them to cancel. I was thinking wait until the payment deadline and don't pay but would that get my deposit back?

ReputationRep:
    Have you called them? That would be the first logical step. However, you might not get all of your deposit back. After all, they may well have put off other people who wanted to book on the same night, now you are going to cancel and they are going to be out of pocket.

If you can't afford to lose your deposit, I would go with that venue. After all, it isn't the venue that makes a party, it is the people you invite.

Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    You will almost certainly not get your deposit back. The deposit is there to protect them from cancellations or non-payers...basically from people like you. Your own fault for changing your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazBoy)
    I hired out a venue for my birthday party but I have now chosen somewhere different. I paid a £160 deposit to the venue that is refundable after the event or if cancellation is due to the venue and not me. I need some ideas of ways to get them to cancel. I was thinking wait until the payment deadline and don't pay but would that get my deposit back?
    You can only get your deposit back if the venue cancels. but you could contact the venue and ask them?

Basically the venue must cancel :toilet:

ReputationRep:
    So you're going to lose a deposit for exactly the reason that deposits are usually requested...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    You can only get your deposit back if the venue cancels. but you could contact the venue and ask them?

Basically the venue must cancel :toilet:
    So maybe I could get someone to email the venue telling them that the party will be a nightmare and then make up a reason that's bad enough for them to say no?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So maybe I could get someone to email the venue telling them that the party will be a nightmare and then make up a reason that's bad enough for them to say no?
    Fraud, you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Or you could just take responsibility for your actions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Fraud, you mean?
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Or you could just take responsibility for your actions...
    Just either go with the venue or lose the deposit. cant see anything else working

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Fraud, you mean?
    Lol of course not

ReputationRep:
    Lol of course not
    How is it not fraud? You're lying so that they'll return your deposit under false pretences.

ReputationRep:
    Call them and have a conversation. It may still be early enough for them to rebook it and they be happy to do so and refund you. Chances are they will say no and then it is tough luck. The whole point of the deposit is so people like you don't get to chop and change and mess them about. You won't be able to tell them it will 'be a nightmare' as presumably they have an action plan for that, i.e. call the police and pursue you for damages. Just accept that you either need to stick with that venue or lose your money.

ReputationRep:
    Next time you should explore your options beforehand. Good luck!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.