Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am going into my 2nd year of university and after 3 days I realised my first instalment had not been added to my account. After a few phone calls I was told that my account number was wrong, and that I must of put it. This is false, It was a completely different number not even close and I had called previously asking why only half of my sort code was showing and that my account number was one it should be. After 14 days of waiting if the account was actually "real", it has been paid into whoever account that is.

I have been given such a range of advice from call advisers, such as its my bank who deals with it, that it should be sorted within days, but actually it will take a month etc. I am so angered by the situation as I have had to live at uni for 3 weeks with no loan, luckily having a small amount of money saved just incase.
    They are sure that it is my fault, however speaking to many other people It is known that student finance make mistakes and refuse to accept them. Plus, I did check my information to make sure that it was correct when I applied as I have a worry of putting the wrong numbers anyway.

I just want to know if anyone else has had a similar situation and if they did get their money back? My actual bank has told me that the money can definitely be retrieved, however I am worried student finance will refuse to retrieve it as it is "a mistake of mine". My frustration of having barely no money, and having to be patient is killing me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry I have no idea, but I really hope it gets fixed for you soon. I know how frustrating student finance can be andf it's very scary literally not knowing if you'll be able to afford to eat.

ReputationRep:
    Student finance is literally a ****ing joke.

I imagine SF will struggle to retrieve the funds from a broke student who saw ££££ and went clubbing.

It's going to be a difficult month, although it is quite clearly their fault so don't give in...

Can't help any further sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I have EXACTLY the same problem!
    I've been trying for almost 3 weeks to get it resolved now and nothing, what do we do?!

ReputationRep:
    Someone ln my course had her account hacked and the banm details changed. I thimk there is someone rotton at sfe

ReputationRep:
    This has made me feel so much better that it hasn't just happened to me! After many phone calls apparently it is being sorted, which when I went to my bank they did say "well why can't they give you the money for now and they will get it back" which is a good point, it was there mistake in the first place and I have to suffer. 90 for 30 days is going to be fun..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carly_muse)
    This has made me feel so much better that it hasn't just happened to me! After many phone calls apparently it is being sorted, which when I went to my bank they did say "well why can't they give you the money for now and they will get it back" which is a good point, it was there mistake in the first place and I have to suffer. 90 for 30 days is going to be fun..
    Have you told your university what's going on? They usually have hardship funds for times like this.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ this is dreadful.
    SF have screwed me in a different but equally disastrous manner.
    Whoever processed my application messed it up putting it down as financing for the 2014/2015 (so I'm going back in time to study?) and at a totally different university and instead of rectifying it just deleted the entire thing and din't bother to contact me. I didn't find out until 3 days later when I logged in to check the status of my application. I'm still wrestling with them on it now and have yet to receive a penny of my grant/loan.

Had similar problems with them last year, took having to go to my local MP in order to sort it out who immediately picked up the phone and pretty much began screaming at them with all his parliamentary authority and even sent off evidence they said they needed in a special MP's envelope that got it there on the day or next day, then drove me to the post office to post it.

Maybe try going down to your local constituency and booking an appointment to speak about it? A lot of people think that MP's can't help with this type of thing but they can.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact same position, apparently it's being sorted but I don't know how true this is, let me know if you get yours back!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.