Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a 16 year old from London and i find it hard to find anyone that listens to metal or rock at my school, has it disappeared from the high school scene altogether. for example I used to go to the music room and play guitar , nobody plays now . what happened?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricky G)
    So I'm a 16 year old from London and i find it hard to find anyone that listens to metal or rock at my school, has it disappeared from the high school scene altogether. for example I used to go to the music room and play guitar , nobody plays now . what happened?
    A lot of people still listen to rock and metal, but it seems that a far larger majority of people aren't into it as much compared to previous years.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's died out, but you might have to look harder to find fans of the genre. If anything I think most people nowadays like a mix of every type of music, also what would you consider rock or metal as rock from 20-40 years ago is quite different from the naughties standards unless you look underground.

PS. i"ve had friends who formed their own bands during uni so maybe you could do the same you're more likely to meet like minded people that way (he even played electric guitar i classical orchestra performances in warwick)

ReputationRep:
    Tons of people still listen to rock and metal, it's just not that many people go about flaunting it in everyone's face. Pretty much all my friends in high school/college listened to rock (although it was mostly indie crap) and I knew a couple guys who listened to metal.

Btw that's Joey Jordisons signature isn't it? I very nearly bought one of those a couple years ago, it looks so badass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Tons of people still listen to rock and metal, it's just not that many people go about flaunting it in everyone's face. Pretty much all my friends in high school/college listened to rock (although it was mostly indie crap) and I knew a couple guys who listened to metal.

Btw that's Joey Jordisons signature isn't it? I very nearly bought one of those a couple years ago, it looks so badass.
    That sound so cool , and ikr that guitar is aweeesome

ReputationRep:
    you called???? Rock and metal is my favourite genre, although I do like all other music genres

ReputationRep:
    Its still by far the most popular genre amongst people with higher than average IQs.

ReputationRep:
    well .. the trend now is house /pop /electronic..etc. I suppose many people don't enjoy rock and metal anymore or perhaps they don't know about it that much .. that's a shame .

ReputationRep:
    Love metal and metalcore, rock not so much :/

ReputationRep:
    Meanwhile I'm still addicted to The Strokes. Can't get over meeting Julian Casablancas just recently!

Sort of glad not many people are into my genre

ReputationRep:
    I know quite a few who listen to the heavier genres of rock including myself.

ReputationRep:
    People(like myself) still listen to it, but the culture that used to surround it, is longer mainstream or as popular.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah rock is the **** \m/

ReputationRep:
    loads of people listen to it at my school! some are into iron maiden, metallica, ACDC, pink floyd, rolling stones, queen... some are into avenged sevenfold, alter bridge, breaking benjamin, slipknot, tool, 5 finger death punch etc and some are into bullet for my valentine, sleeping with sirens, black veiled brides, fall out boy, pierce the veil, escape the fate, bring me the horizon, the Cab, the maine

I'm like in the mix of everything lol

but yeah LOADS of people listen to rock/ metal/ metalcore still and it's a girls school! people would blast it at full volume and sing along (failing miserably) so it's still a thing here... in London too

It's either that or kpop at my school haha

maybe it's just your school

ReputationRep:
    YES. I am a real fan of anything 'hard rock'.

Though I don't like it when you delve too far into the heavy metal genre such that everything in the track becomes incoherent. Still gotta have some decent rhythm and lyrical progression.

No.1 track right now has gotta be Enter Shikari - The Last Garrison. What a tune./

ReputationRep:
    I listen to Christian rock music e.g. Newsboys. Used to listen to Coldplay.

ReputationRep:
    this is old unfashionable music, so its not mainstream anymore.
    but lots of old people still like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny360)
    Love metal and metalcore, rock not so much :/
    Metalcore is my life

ReputationRep:
    Queen ftw

ReputationRep:

There you have it guys, it's dead, because dubstep \o/

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.