The Student Room Group

Grades below expected - will I recieve my offer?

AS results went worse than I had anticipated.
A for Polish (This will be expected to be A* and counts towards the final grade)
C for History
C for General Studies (Will not be carried on for A2)
D for Religious Studies
E for Geography

I also have a PS which was described by my Head of Sixth Form as 'I couldn't write a better one myself'. I can't gauge how important a PS is in respect to the grades obtained, or whether it even matters if you don't have the expected ones.

Realistically, will I be able to get an offer from the University of Birmingham for their Political Science BA course (ABB) ? What about the University of Kent (BBB) ?

One option is that I plead for clemency on part of my subject tutors to raise my predicted grades. Though these are yet to be discussed between them as I don't come from one of 'those schools' that apply early.

All help and advice is dearly appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Archdukes
A for Polish (This will be expected to be A* and counts towards the final grade)
C for History
D for Religious Studies
E for Geography

I also have a PS which was described by my Head of Sixth Form as 'I couldn't write a better one myself'. I can't gauge how important a PS is in respect to the grades obtained, or whether it even matters if you don't have the expected ones.

Realistically, will I be able to get an offer from the University of Birmingham for their Political Science BA course (ABB) ? What about the University of Kent (BBB) ?

One option is that I plead for clemency on part of my subject tutors to raise my predicted grades. Though these are yet to be discussed between them as I don't come from one of 'those schools' that apply early.

Personal Statements are only a supplement to predicted and obtained grades. You may be able to scrape through if you can get in early enough, otherwise get on your knees and beg those teachers. The problem is their will be thousands of applicants with higher grades than compared to someone predicted the BBB.

Worth a try though
Reply 2
Original post by Ryanx623
Personal Statements are only a supplement to predicted and obtained grades. You may be able to scrape through if you can get in early enough, otherwise get on your knees and beg those teachers. The problem is their will be thousands of applicants with higher grades than compared to someone predicted the BBB.

Worth a try though

I thought as much. I will be! I will have finished my application by next week. If I do not get into Birmingham or an equally liked university. Is it worth it taking a year off, working and boosting up my grades privately for example doing AS + A2 in something like Economics and Gov and Politics while I work next year?
Reply 3
I thought as much. I will be! I will have finished my application by next week. If I do not get into Birmingham or an equally liked university. Is it worth it taking a year off, working and boosting up my grades privately for example doing AS + A2 in something like Economics and Gov and Politics while I work next year?

Beware of doing that, some courses will strictly be 2 years after this year. Some already are 2 years.
Reply 4
Original post by Windies
Beware of doing that, some courses will strictly be 2 years after this year. Some already are 2 years.

Oh bugger yes, I completely forgot about that!

This complicates things, to say little.

Edit: I may have to suck up and eat what I am given. Go to a 20-50 place uni and try the utmost hardest for a 1:1 then apply to a Russell Group for MA.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Bump for knowledge.
C for History
D for Religious Studies
E for Geography

Hmm you'll just have to try your best to get those C's to B's!

I would also suggest applying to another university as your backup, one that has a BCC requirement, like Bradford I think. Just to be safe

Make sure you're personal statement is spot on! It's the only chance you get to convince the universities that you are not defined by your grades. You need to sound intelligent in your essay so that the admission officers think that the bad grades were just a one off.

Also, your reference letter needs to show that you're a capable candidate.

All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending