Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help how to evaluate this quote "we will proceed no further in this business" Show me how to evaluate Thanks

ReputationRep:
    evaluate in the context of what?

ReputationRep:
    Honeylooloo is quite right, your question is very difficult to answer.

This quote from A1 Sc7and is fundamental to understanding the character of Macbeth - and indeed what motivates him.

Very interesting, in this scene, he uses negation. In A1 Sc3 and the "Two Truths are told.." soliloquy he decides to leave everything up to Fate. In A1 Sc 5 L. 73 he informs Lady Macbeth they will talk later. I believe Macbeth would like to be king, but he does not want to murder to get there. That said he does leave open the idea. "We will go no further..." is not the same as we will not do it.

Unlike the other two occasions, this time he makes a decision - to some degree: he says no. Macbeth's unease with the idea of murder - actually assassination - is shown in his language. He refers to it as "business" not - what it actually is - murder. He cannot even bring himself to admit what it is.

There is also reticence in the way he informs Lady Macbeth. He does not say "Right that's it I have decided, I will not murder Duncan." My major criticism of Macbeth is that he is not able to make a decision prior to the murder - thereafter it is different. There is an ambiguity in his expression there is considerable vagueness in his expression. Of course the audience and Lady Macbeth know what he means, but his vague expression - a symptom of his unease with the idea of assassination - allows Lady Macbeth to demolish him in 20 lines.

To be able to evaluate at this level you need to know your characters and the play in some considerable depth.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.