Turn on thread page Beta

Swimming for tone watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is this a lost cause? I'm fairly skinny (scales say 14% body fat but I'm ordering calipers to get a better idea) and I've been advised by my physio that I shouldn't do high impact exercise because I have hypermobile joints and already screwed up my knee pretty badly. I never enjoyed the gym much anyway but this means I can't run - which I'd been doing for about 2 years.

I decided to go back to swimming which I always loved when I was younger and now swim about 3 times per week for an hour - following sets from myswimfit. I'm planning to increase that to 5 days per week. Can I gain some tone with that sort of routine? I know swimming is great cardio but I don't know about tone. I don't want or expect to look like a body builder but I'd just like to not be quite so small!

ReputationRep:
    Impedance scales are ridiculous inaccurate. Your bodyfat % can not be accurately determined by stepping on bathroom scales. Callipers are better, but still not perfect. If you mean muscle gain and loss of bodyfat, swimming can bring about a very small amount of muscle gain, and a large amount of bodyfat loss if you're eating right, so if that is your definition of tone, then yes, you 'gain some tone'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Impedance scales are ridiculous inaccurate. Your bodyfat % can not be accurately determined by stepping on bathroom scales. Callipers are better, but still not perfect. If you mean muscle gain and loss of bodyfat, swimming can bring about a very small amount of muscle gain, and a large amount of bodyfat loss if you're eating right, so if that is your definition of tone, then yes, you 'gain some tone'.
    I'm aware the scales are bad! You don't sound super convinced. Can you suggest any other low impact stuff I can do which would work better? I have a lot of free time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toppy)
    I'm aware the scales are bad! You don't sound super convinced. Can you suggest any other low impact stuff I can do which would work better? I have a lot of free time!
    Swimming is your best bet for hypermobility. Maybe try rowing on a rowing machine? For muscle building I'd say weightlifting, but I'd follow the advice of your physio tbh.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.