Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, its been a long while since I have been active on this forum.

im looking at going back to uni, I dropped out of university 3 months into a building surveying course. I was studying at Liverpool John Moores. I absolutely loved my experience of living in Liverpool itself, but I was struggling to switch on with the course. I found it was mostly down to the subject. I do not know why to this day, as I had already done a HNC course (which was a broad subject on construction) and had worked along side a surveyor for a years work experience. Since then I moved back home and have worked at the family business as a mechanic/breakdown recovery. I wasnt sure when leaving uni if this was the right path for me, although I hugely enjoy the work Im unsure if this career is for me as its long hours non stop through the year as we are 24/7 breakdown. and as well I miss the university life , being independent. Obviously I could move out of the parents house (being 22 I think I should anyway haha) but it doesn't alter anything really. As I still live in cr*ppy rural wales, and im tied down to a job.

In the meantime ive gone and done a apprenticeship course with Bosch, which in the mechanics world is quite prestigious, as bosch make/design a lot of car parts and im now considering furthering my study and moving on from the dirty work of mechanics .

I am worried about quite a few things, (maybe there is no answer to these but ill feel relieved if someone from an engineering background would give their view)

my main concern is will I get in to university, I dont have much if any qualifications which are in an engineering type of subject. I think it will be easier if i list them
    NAtional Diploma in construction MMM
    HNC in Building Studies
    I have a couple of CAD qualifications (which ill get to in a second)
    And a Level 2 and 3 IMIAL light vehicle maintenance and repair

And obviously I got into uni in the past, ill hopefully be looking into going back to ljmu (which ive allready emailed but had no reply as of yet)
    Maybe I am over thinking this but im unsure if my Qualifications are suited for engineering.
    A worry for me is maths as I have not done any A level course on maths other than key skills. I cant remember what mark i got, but as I have read, on a lot of other threads that most people with time and effort can get their heads around maths in mechanical engineering.

A huge aspect that is pulling me back to uni is continuing to do CAD Ive done quite a bit on cad and have always enjoyed.

Id like to ask from your experiance what subject is bestsuited/has most CAD work, I was considering mechanical engineering (which appeals to me most)

Ive written all this and I cant see many questions or if anyone will be able to help me but I will post anyway and hopefully I will get some friendly answers back

thanks!
    Sion

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.