Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I am thinking ahead to applying for a PGCE course starting in 2017. I have been looking at the funding options and I am a little confused as to my status as UK resident. By 2017 I will have been away from the UK teaching out in South Korea for the past 4 years (with holidays back in the UK each year). I am 'ordinarily' resident in the UK. I am a British passport holder, my family live there, I went to university there, etc. Would my time away from the UK be considered a temporary absence as it is the country that I would return to at the end of each 1 year contract or will any funding not be possible for me to get?

    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    Normally we would ask you to have three years un-interrupted residence in the U.K to qualify for funding. However, if we can see that your time away was of a temporary nature and you always meant to return to the U.K then we would still be able to award you the finance. So if you were working in S.Korea on temporary contracts, as long as we could see the original documents then it is likely that you would get full funding. One other thing I would say is apply as early as possible so we've got plenty of time before your course starts to get this resolved.

Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.