Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is 3 A-levels and 1 AS particularly better than just 3 A-levels? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just started my AS levels and I'm taking Economics, History, Maths and English. The original plan was to take all these subjects to AS level, before dropping one and continuing with the others to A2. That way, I will have 3 full A-levels and one AS-level. However, I am really not enjoying Economics and am considering dropping it before even completing the AS. Do you think this would be a really bad decision, and would it badly affect my chances of getting into University? (As of now I'm unsure about what I would like to study at university). Also, by dropping Economics, would my Maths A-level be stranded without a supporting subject and subsequently useless? Thanks 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bicwin)
    Hi, I've just started my AS levels and I'm taking Economics, History, Maths and English. The original plan was to take all these subjects to AS level, before dropping one and continuing with the others to A2. That way, I will have 3 full A-levels and one AS-level. However, I am really not enjoying Economics and am considering dropping it before even completing the AS. Do you think this would be a really bad decision, and would it badly affect my chances of getting into University? (As of now I'm unsure about what I would like to study at university). Also, by dropping Economics, would my Maths A-level be stranded without a supporting subject and subsequently useless? Thanks 😊
    Taking 4 subjects at AS isn't necessarily better, but it gives you choice as to which to continue to A2. Taking 3 will mean you can focus more time on these and potentially get higher grades instead of spreading your time across 4 subjects.

Not having an AS (I.e 3 A2 and 1 AS) will not disadvantage you. The only place I can think of is if you're applying to UCL as some of the courses (if not all?) have entry requirements requiring an AS, e.g. AAAe. If you don't have this you will not be able to get in, but this is just one place and I don't think I've seen another uni that needs an AS as well as 3 A2s.

And no, dropping economics will not make your maths A level useless - it is one of the best and most facilitating A levels in its own right.

Oh and I also hated economics and dropped it after like a month and picked up physics..

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.