The Student Room Group

I have left sixth form for an apprenticeship help

I'm 17 and have left sixth form I was just wondering guys if I am supposed to pay because I have dropped only one btec course the price they want me to pay is £125 I don't know if this is right I wasn't aware I had to pay any sort of money all help is appreciated 😁
Reply 1
Original post by oliver_887
I'm 17 and have left sixth form I was just wondering guys if I am supposed to pay because I have dropped only one btec course the price they want me to pay is £125 I don't know if this is right I wasn't aware I had to pay any sort of money all help is appreciated 😁

Wait, 6th form wants you to pay for dropping out?
Reply 2
Original post by ReeceM1
Wait, 6th form wants you to pay for dropping out?

Yes it doesnt seem right they said its because ive left during a course but i wasnt enjoying it and found and apprenticeship they have asked me to pay £125 but i dont know if i should. Anyway i have to go to work i shall reply when im back.
Reply 3
I'd refuse to pay that.
The government provides these schools with the money that they use on resources. The school haven't lost any money and therefore have no right to try and claim some off you. If you're going into an apprenticeship then good on you trying to find something that you'll enjoy and will give you the necessary skills to get a job in the future. Shame on them for trying to punish you for this.
Pretty sure they shouldn't charge you as you're in the right age for free education
Reply 5
Original post by ReeceM1
I'd refuse to pay that.
The government provides these schools with the money that they use on resources. The school haven't lost any money and therefore have no right to try and claim some off you. If you're going into an apprenticeship then good on you trying to find something that you'll enjoy and will give you the necessary skills to get a job in the future. Shame on them for trying to punish you for this.

Thank you very much i knew something wasnt right.
Original post by ReeceM1
I'd refuse to pay that.

That isn't entirely true. The government pay schools for students who complete their course. If you don't complete your course the school gets less money.

But OP still shouldn't have to pay anything. That would be stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ReeceM1
I'd refuse to pay that.

The taxpayer provides the money.
Original post by DiddyDec
That isn't entirely true. The government pay schools for students who complete their course. If you don't complete your course the school gets less money.

But OP still shouldn't have to pay anything. That would be stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would it be stupid?

Somebody may have been turned away from that course because it was full.
Reply 9
Original post by MatureStudent36
Why would it be stupid?

Somebody may have been turned away from that course because it was full.

They may have been turned away - but this still does not warrant a fine being imposed for someone wanting to leave a course.

And as you said, a taxpayer provide the money... My bet is that members of his family are taxpayers..

Did you sign a contract with the school on joining? If so, do you have a copy of the terms and conditions?

By Googling, I came across this state funded sixth form college, which will charge for resits, unsatisfactory attendance or incomplete coursework:

http://www.elliotthudsoncollege.ac.uk/study-at/student-finance/
Reply 11
Original post by Holmstock
Did you sign a contract with the school on joining? If so, do you have a copy of the terms and conditions?

By Googling, I came across this state funded sixth form college, which will charge for resits, unsatisfactory attendance or incomplete coursework:

http://www.elliotthudsoncollege.ac.uk/study-at/student-finance/

I signed a contact last year but that was for my engineering course because the people that also did it wasnt the best behaved and it did state on there if i sidnt turn up for that course i would have to pay which i signed but that was only for engineering and that contract only lasted until it was over which it now is because it was a year course, i have not signed anything else so i guess i could bring that up when they apparently send 'the bill' so they say
I signed a contact last year but that was for my engineering course because the people that also did it wasnt the best behaved and it did state on there if i sidnt turn up for that course i would have to pay which i signed but that was only for engineering and that contract only lasted until it was over which it now is because it was a year course, i have not signed anything else so i guess i could bring that up when they apparently send 'the bill' so they say

Ask what the fee is for and then say you cannot afford it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you should just ignore the messages they send. because they didn't tell you before you dropped out so its not your fault. they get a lot of for you doing the course greedy cows.
Original post by ReeceM1
They may have been turned away - but this still does not warrant a fine being imposed for someone wanting to leave a course.

And as you said, a taxpayer provide the money... My bet is that members of his family are taxpayers..

I'm a taxpayer.

And yes, it does warrant a fine. It's good practice for real life as that what happens.
Original post by robinfr
you should just ignore the messages they send. because they didn't tell you before you dropped out so its not your fault. they get a lot of for you doing the course greedy cows.

You'll probably find out that they did tell you and it's clearly mentioned in joining paperwork.

Ignoring a debt has a habit of coming back to bite you in the arse. Try getting a bank loan, credit card, mortgage etc when you're identified as a credit risk.
Original post by MatureStudent36
You'll probably find out that they did tell you and it's clearly mentioned in joining paperwork.

Ignoring a debt has a habit of coming back to bite you in the arse. Try getting a bank loan, credit card, mortgage etc when you're identified as a credit risk.

yeah probably. Isn't education free for 16-18 yr olds
Original post by robinfr
yeah probably. Isn't education free for 16-18 yr olds

Free education didn't cover cancellation costs. But hey, don't bother paying it. I'm sure a 17 year old will have great fun arguing their logic in the small claims court.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending