Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you stop headphones from tangling!? watch

ReputationRep:
    I put them in my pocket and every time, they come out knotted like this:

Name:  headphones.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  455.4 KB

Sometimes, I literally put them into my pockets neatly curled, and take them out immediately and they come out in a double knot.

If anyone has a solution or can merely sympathise, I'd love to hear from you.

ReputationRep:
    Wrap them around your d... Ok I'm out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, those cheap earbuds are almost certain to get tangled if you aren't careful. If you really want headphones that won't do that, there are a few options.

The most obvious one would be wireless headphones that use Bluetooth or RF waves. No wires, and thus no tangles.

There are also some headphones with an anti-tangle cable, usually this will be a flatter and wider cable.

Oh, and I think I've seen some sleeves for headphone cables that claim to help keep them from getting tangled.

Really, just about any nicer pair of headphones with a thicker cord would be less likely to get tangled. Thin, spindly cords usually do get tangled without proper support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    Well, those cheap earbuds are almost certain to get tangled if you aren't careful. If you really want headphones that won't do that, there are a few options.

The most obvious one would be wireless headphones that use Bluetooth or RF waves. No wires, and thus no tangles.

There are also some headphones with an anti-tangle cable, usually this will be a flatter and wider cable.

Oh, and I think I've seen some sleeves for headphone cables that claim to help keep them from getting tangled.

Really, just about any nicer pair of headphones with a thicker cord would be less likely to get tangled. Thin, spindly cords usually do get tangled without proper support.
    Thanks Jeremy - so in summary, stop being a cheapskate :lol:

I will look into the ones with thicker cables, that makes sense as to why they wouldn't tangle so much

ReputationRep:
    I just untangle my apple headphones whenever it starts getting tangled before it gets worse
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Make sure you coil properly (learn the over-under method), and stick them in their own separate pouch. That should keep the wire from moving much, so it won't tangle. Bonus is that your earbuds won't be mingling with whatever crud lines your pockets, keeping them cleaner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    If anyone has a solution or can merely sympathise, I'd love to hear from you
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I just untangle my apple headphones whenever it starts getting tangled before it gets worse
    (Original post by Dez)
    Make sure you coil properly
    Name:  Earphones.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  30.3 KB

(Original post by jeremy1988)
    wireless headphones that use Bluetooth or RF waves. No wires, and thus no tangles
    Please don't anyone do that, we get quite enough RFR delivered to our central nervous system as it is (see Electrosmog in my sig for reference)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

Please don't anyone do that, we get quite enough RFR delivered to our central nervous system as it is (see Electrosmog in my sig for reference)
    Ah I didn't receive a notification for this!
    So neat and tidy,uncle foo

ReputationRep:
    Buy antitangle/tanglefree headphones

ReputationRep:

So neat and tidy! This is the dream.

ReputationRep:
    Last year my friend taught me how to do this, and since then I've been doing it whenever I'm not using my headphones (so easy to fit in your bag as well, without having it pull out half of your bag's contents)

ReputationRep:
    So neat and tidy,uncle foo
    So neat and tidy! This is the dream.
    Witness the power of autistic personality traits :yeah:

(Original post by LaMandarine)
    Last year my friend taught me how to do this..
    That's an easier/simpler method, good shout. Only drawbacks I can think of, by comparison:

• Lack direct means of tying excess cable up (e.g. to stop overspill out of pockets/under garments etc)
    • More likely to leave your headphones twizzled
    • Less easy to hang

ReputationRep:
    I fold mine up and tie them in a knot like you do with phone cables. that stops it for me

ReputationRep:

I use my index and middle fingers on my left hand and wrap the headphones around with my right hand.

:yy:

ReputationRep:
    Witness the power of autistic personality traits :yeah:

That's an easier/simpler method, good shout. Only drawbacks I can think of, by comparison:

• Lack direct means of tying excess cable up (e.g. to stop overspill out of pockets/under garments etc)
    • More likely to leave your headphones twizzled
    • Less easy to hang
    Teach me your ways

ReputationRep:
    Teach me your ways
    Check this out and get back to me

ReputationRep:
    I put them in my pocket and every time, they come out knotted like this:

Name:  headphones.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  455.4 KB

Sometimes, I literally put them into my pockets neatly curled, and take them out immediately and they come out in a double knot.

If anyone has a solution or can merely sympathise, I'd love to hear from you.
    You can't. It happens. It's as certain in life as death and taxes.

ReputationRep:
    You can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    You can't
    (Original post by sunshine97)
    You can't
    See above responses, plus:

ReputationRep:
    Just wrap them around the device, be it phone of mp3 player. Simples.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.