Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Funding for EU students watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.
    I'm an EU students who want to start an undergraduate course in 2016-2017.
    I plain to work and study to cover my costs but this could be not enough.
    I've read that the only help for EU students is the one over tuition fees. Is this right or as EU student I could receive some extra help ?
    Thank you
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

Normally you would only be entitled to tuition fees but if you're going to be working throughout your studies then you may qualify as a migrant worker and therefore be eligible for full support. When the applications open send in a PN1 (application form) with your passport, a copy of your contract, your most recent p60 and three months worth of payslips.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi,

Normally you would only be entitled to tuition fees but if you're going to be working throughout your studies then you may qualify as a migrant worker and therefore be eligible for full support. When the applications open send in a PN1 (application form) with your passport, a copy of your contract, your most recent p60 and three months worth of payslips.

Thanks
    Thank you mark for the reply
    Can you explain me better the migrant worker status ? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

Migrant workers are members of the EU who choose to work in the UK whilst they study. This means you can apply as a UK student, not EU, and receive full funding.

Alternatively, a member of the EU who has lived in the UK for the full 3 years before the start of their course can still apply as a UK student and receive full funding, but do not need to be a Migrant Worker, so you wouldn't have to work if you've been here for 3 full years.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

Migrant workers are members of the EU who choose to work in the UK whilst they study. This means you can apply as a UK student, not EU, and receive full funding.

Alternatively, a member of the EU who has lived in the UK for the full 3 years before the start of their course can still apply as a UK student and receive full funding, but do not need to be a Migrant Worker, so you wouldn't have to work if you've been here for 3 full years.

Thanks.
    Thank you for the reply
    So if I plan to work (part time) in UK I can apply as migrant worker?
    Can you tell me what I have to do to apply as a migrant worker ? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    This.

ReputationRep:
    This.
    Hi mark. Thank you for the reply. I have some questions:
    What contract are you talking about ? What is p60? Where I could find more information about the migrant work status?
    Thank you and sorry for my many questions

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The contract will be the document you sign before starting a job, and the P60 is the document you receive from your employer at the end of the tax year confirming your income etc for the previous year.

This is the criteria for a migrant worker:

If student wishes to apply as a MW, they must:
    • Be EEA or Swiss National
    • Be resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of their course
    • Be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year
    • They, their parent/step-parent, or partner must be working throughout their studies
    • Show they are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially
    • Be working throughout their studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The contract will be the document you sign before starting a job, and the P60 is the document you receive from your employer at the end of the tax year confirming your income etc for the previous year.

This is the criteria for a migrant worker:

If student wishes to apply as a MW, they must:
    • Be EEA or Swiss National
    • Be resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of their course
    • Be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year
    • They, their parent/step-parent, or partner must be working throughout their studies
    • Show they are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially
    • Be working throughout their studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair
    Thank you mark.
    How long I have to work before applying for full funding ? 1 year ?
    Full time work or part time work?
    Regards

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to study from January. I am an EU citizen and I will have the 3 years in January. The school what i chose , already accepted my application with January start. Silly question, but can i start the application for the student loan or shall i wait till january? Because i know they will ask evidence from me that i live here since 3 years ago, but i can prove only from January 2013 with bank statements and also i want to get the loan only from january. If it is possible , i rather want to start now the application to make it faster the process. The another issue , that i just married last month and my wife is from Mexico, so the immigration control asked us to send our original bankstatements. I can order a new ones from my Bank, but heard that sometimes the student loans company complaints about that is not original. Is it true?
    Also i heard that they are going to ask proof of adress from my wife, because she used to live outside of UK in that 3 years period. She has only 2 years here in the UK.
    Thanks for the answers
    David

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berdavid88)
    I am planning to study from January. I am an EU citizen and I will have the 3 years in January. The school what i chose , already accepted my application with January start. Silly question, but can i start the application for the student loan or shall i wait till january? Because i know they will ask evidence from me that i live here since 3 years ago, but i can prove only from January 2013 with bank statements and also i want to get the loan only from january. If it is possible , i rather want to start now the application to make it faster the process. The another issue , that i just married last month and my wife is from Mexico, so the immigration control asked us to send our original bankstatements. I can order a new ones from my Bank, but heard that sometimes the student loans company complaints about that is not original. Is it true?
    Also i heard that they are going to ask proof of adress from my wife, because she used to live outside of UK in that 3 years period. She has only 2 years here in the UK.
    Thanks for the answers
    David

Hi David,

You are able to start your application just now for a Januaury start, you would complete a PN1 application and then send in all the residency information to us as requested. We would need original documents for all 3 year residence evidence. We would not need evidence from your wife apart from her income details for the 13/14 tax year if you are wanting to apply for extra loans and grants.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eustudent93)
    Thank you mark.
    How long I have to work before applying for full funding ? 1 year ?
    Full time work or part time work?
    Regards
    Hi,

There is no specific time you need to have been working, you would send in all relevant documents to us and our migrant worker team will look into seeing if you are eligible for the support. Full time or part time work is also okay.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

There is no specific time you need to have been working, you would send in all relevant documents to us and our migrant worker team will look into seeing if you are eligible for the support. Full time or part time work is also okay.

Thanks.
    IF am eligible? Is not sure?

ReputationRep:
    IF am eligible? Is not sure?
    Hi,

We cannot confirm 100% you will be accepted as a migrant worker, this will be down to the evidence you provide to us. If you meet all the requirements and all the correct evidence is sent in then there is no reason why you wouldn't be but this would be down to our assessors.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    thank you Mark
    another question:
    I'm currently enrolled in the first year of an undergraduate course in my home country.
    Can I apply for the student finance for 2016-2017 entry?

ReputationRep:
    thank you Mark
    another question:
    I'm currently enrolled in the first year of an undergraduate course in my home country.
    Can I apply for the student finance for 2016-2017 entry?
    If you have only done 1 year of this and do not receive a qualification, you will be able to apply for funding.

Thanks

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.