Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So basically, I got average/bad GCSEs, 2 B's in Maths and ICT and C's in sciences, ICT (ICT was a double award) etc. A couple of D's and E's too. I'm currently studying Economics, Business Studies and ICT for A2 predicted AAB respectively. I'm looking to apply to Loughborough University for an Economics course but GCSE requirements state I need B's in Maths and English Language. I only got a C in English Language and was wondering how much this affects my ability to apply and get acccepted for this course. If it helps, I meet their A-Level requirements of AAB-ABB.

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Rohan
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Rohan.Arjoon)
    Hi guys,

So basically, I got average/bad GCSEs, 2 B's in Maths and ICT and C's in sciences, ICT (ICT was a double award) etc. A couple of D's and E's too. I'm currently studying Economics, Business Studies and ICT for A2 predicted AAB respectively. I'm looking to apply to Loughborough University for an Economics course but GCSE requirements state I need B's in Maths and English Language. I only got a C in English Language and was wondering how much this affects my ability to apply and get acccepted for this course. If it helps, I meet their A-Level requirements of AAB-ABB.

Rohan
    Ask Lboro in their forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Rohan
    If a university goes to the trouble of specifying a GCSE grade above the standard grade C pass, then it will have done so because that is the minimum it thinks the students need to cope with the course. Universities are often much less flexible about this than A levels. Call and ask them, but be prepared for it to be a 'no point' answer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Rohan

Many want A level Maths for economics as well so check that out

Hi guys,

Rohan
    As others have suggested, call them and ask. I would recommend resitting regardless of their reply because it's likely that you'll be up against people who do meet the GCSE requirement and, when it comes to awarding places, not having that B is going to do you no favours.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi guys,

Rohan

Hi Rohan

It is pretty important to have the required GCSE grades stated and yes it could affect your application. However, with good predicted grades and a good personal statement there may be a chance that you could get an offer - but is much less likely than if you had the required B grade. The best thing to do at this stage is contact the department directly and ask them.

The best person to contact is a lady called Charlotte Connor and you can e-mail her at [email protected] or call her on 01509 223393.

Hope this helps
    Vicky

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.