Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Middlesex seems to be my number one university choice so i hope it's as good as i want it to be! Have any of you studied here, what was the surrounding areas like, the teaching itself and also the facilities?

I'm going to one of their opening days on Saturday but just curious of what others though.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Wat subject are u planning to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mo2)
    Wat subject are u planning to study?
    Biology (Molecular biology)

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (2nd year student). IMO I was excited when joining Middlesex as it had recently been refurbished in the last few years so it looks really nice and modern. Nice facilities and they are still fixing it now! I currently stay at home and travel to and forth most days as its about 30 mins by bus. Teachers are nice, friendly and helpful. Work wise its great.....

...Socially...absolutely sucks. Hendon is a sh!t hole it itself. The area is awful, run down and boring. There is absolutely nothing to do in the area. Its not like other uni's or uni's out of London, situated in a nice city/area with coffee shops, beautiful parks, restaurants, cinema's, sporta area, etc. All hendon has, are 2 local pubs, (bar within the Uni), a few crappy kebab and old food stores. Hendon has a station near by, and there is Brent Cross shopping centre, 15 mins by bus...but thats it.. Within the Uni, there are societies..however apart from the main sport, religious and some other ones...I haven't been interested by any. So ye, work wise I am fine, socially...is is bad. Hope this helps...remember its my opinion..I do not speak for the majority...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumford & Dragons)
    (2nd year student). IMO I was excited when joining Middlesex as it had recently been refurbished in the last few years so it looks really nice and modern. Nice facilities and they are still fixing it now! I currently stay at home and travel to and forth most days as its about 30 mins by bus. Teachers are nice, friendly and helpful. Work wise its great.....

...Socially...absolutely sucks. Hendon is a sh!t hole it itself. The area is awful, run down and boring. There is absolutely nothing to do in the area. Its not like other uni's or uni's out of London, situated in a nice city/area with coffee shops, beautiful parks, restaurants, cinema's, sporta area, etc. All hendon has, are 2 local pubs, (bar within the Uni), a few crappy kebab and old food stores. Hendon has a station near by, and there is Brent Cross shopping centre, 15 mins by bus...but thats it.. Within the Uni, there are societies..however apart from the main sport, religious and some other ones...I haven't been interested by any. So ye, work wise I am fine, socially...is is bad. Hope this helps...remember its my opinion..I do not speak for the majority...!
    That's really great advice! When i got there the area didn't seem to bad, but i live in a generally run down area my self so that's probably why! Do you not go into central London or is it too much of a hassle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richpeasant)
    That's really great advice! When i got there the area didn't seem to bad, but i live in a generally run down area my self so that's probably why! Do you not go into central London or is it too much of a hassle?
    Ye going central is to much of a hassle. I wouldnt go during lunch as thats only an hour. And I just go home after lessons anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ye going central is to much of a hassle. I wouldnt go during lunch as thats only an hour. And I just go home after lessons anyway.
    Would you consider yourself a sociable person? Do you live in the halls right opposite the campus or?

ReputationRep:
    Would you consider yourself a sociable person? Do you live in the halls right opposite the campus or?
    haha well sort of...I am really shy so I wont just walk up to people and say hi. Even holding convos is a bit difficult but once I get to know the people/them with me too I am a pretty cool guy. I dont really have the type of friends to chill out, pubs, football etc. The friends I have are more into board games and super smash bros type . I live at home but its about 30-45 mins by bus, depending on traffic.

ReputationRep:
    haha well sort of...I am really shy so I wont just walk up to people and say hi. Even holding convos is a bit difficult but once I get to know the people/them with me too I am a pretty cool guy. I dont really have the type of friends to chill out, pubs, football etc. The friends I have are more into board games and super smash bros type . I live at home but its about 30-45 mins by bus, depending on traffic.
    If i go there ill be more than happy to meet up, love gaming myself and wouldn't mind to play a few board games! What about the lectureres, are they good with feedback and marking?

ReputationRep:
    If i go there ill be more than happy to meet up, love gaming myself and wouldn't mind to play a few board games! What about the lectureres, are they good with feedback and marking?
    Thanks haha but I mentioned I do not like those stuff :3 sorry. Well I have mainly coursework work on the computer so I only have a 2 hour lecture a week. Its only a class of 15 so its not massive. Feedback is good as they email it to you. But dont really talk to you about it. Marking is top notch also. However all courses are different so I cannot really say

ReputationRep:
    Thanks haha but I mentioned I do not like those stuff :3 sorry. Well I have mainly coursework work on the computer so I only have a 2 hour lecture a week. Its only a class of 15 so its not massive. Feedback is good as they email it to you. But dont really talk to you about it. Marking is top notch also. However all courses are different so I cannot really say
    Sorry by you saying "The friends I have are more into board games and super smash bros type" I thought you would of been into video games and board games? What subject are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    mate i travel from east london everyday for lectures and i quite like the area, its got a uni vibe to it imo - camden isn't too far and thats got all the night life

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know this, too. I'm applying for 2016, not sure if I should have Westminster or Middlesex as a back up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faizayasmin)
    mate i travel from east london everyday for lectures and i quite like the area, its got a uni vibe to it imo - camden isn't too far and thats got all the night life
    Is it within walking distance or?

ReputationRep:
    Don't go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faizayasmin)
    Thats your opinion. My time socially has not been 'fun'<literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Don't go there.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    How so?
    It's crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    It's crap.
    In what sense? Did you go there?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.