Turn on thread page Beta

Do ugly/average people get a kick out of criticising attractive people's looks? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The same way people who have low paid or average jobs like to criticise successful people etc.?

I don't just mean criticising the same gender (if straight) but opposite gender people too.

I have noticed with the rise of "social media" where it is more common to comment on people's looks this seems more common.

in b4 "attractiveness is subjective" - partly true, there are some things generally considered attractive.

ReputationRep:
    Critics are often lazy, resistant to change and improvement, so I can kinda see what you're getting at, however...not all people who have "average" jobs criticise others. And not all "average" looking people criticise other people's looks. Not at all in my experience. The well-adjusted lot just get on in life, are happy and don't bother with such childishness. You probably didn't notice them, because they're not making a big fuss about their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Critics are often lazy, resistant to change and improvement, so I can kinda see what you're getting at, however...not all people who have "average" jobs criticise others. And not all "average" looking people criticise other people's looks. Not at all in my experience. The well-adjusted lot just get on in life, are happy and don't bother with such childishness. You probably didn't notice them, because they're not making a big fuss about their lives.
    I never said all. In fact I would say I am average looking myself haha

But it seems to be a trend nowadays for people to criticise others' looks, I am theorising that some do it out of jealousy or (e.g. a fat man saying that a very attractive actress looks "masculine") sour grapes.

This is similar to someone believing they are being hated on because they believe someone is jealous of them, which most often it's simply because they are a c*nt.

Everyone criticises everyone's looks, I've seen people criticise less attractive people more, especially on social media. If a girl has bad eyebrows then she will be bombarded with memes of herself, that's just one example.

Though yes, there are some people that do like to criticises those...more attractive/successful etc but those people are generally just judgey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is similar to someone believing they are being hated on because they believe someone is jealous of them, which most often it's simply because they are a c*nt.

Everyone criticises everyone's looks, I've seen people criticise less attractive people more, especially on social media. If a girl has bad eyebrows then she will be bombarded with memes of herself, that's just one example.

Though yes, there are some people that do like to criticises those...more attractive/successful etc but those people are generally just judgey.
    Why are you anon?

(Original post by SwedishRedhead)
    Why are you anon?
    Completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

ReputationRep:
    Completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
    Your response says it all. :sly:

ayyy lmao

Your response says it all. :sly:

ayyy lmao
    It seems you're upset that I just destroyed your logic.

ReputationRep:
    It seems you're upset that I just destroyed your logic.
    Someone is butthurt.

The reason you're anon is because you're exactly the kind of person I'm talking about. You've probably posted something before alluding to that. You made an interesting point, but certainly don't want your own reasons for posting brought into the discussion. The fact you've started replying more and more defensively like a little ***** shows you're not worth debating with.

The reason you got extremely defensive when I asked why you were anon (phrased nicely) was because you were scared it was relevant. Way to go drawing attention to the reason you made that post. :rofl:

Someone is butthurt.

The reason you're anon is because you're exactly the kind of person I'm talking about. You've probably posted something before alluding to that. You made an interesting point, but certainly don't want your own reasons for posting brought into the discussion.

The reason you got extremely defensive when I asked why you were anon was because you were scared it was relevant. Way to go drawing attention to the reason you made that post. :rofl:
    Interestingly enough, I've never insulted anyone's looks - I don't even rate people. I don't make constructive posts in this section unless I am anonymous so there's where you're failed in trying to assume things that clearly do not make sense.

No need to cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    Yes haha but nothing too sinister, all in good taste http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/14.31/...es/redface.png
    I don't see the point :dontknow:

/
    didn't read lol :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I never said all. In fact I would say I am average looking myself haha

But it seems to be a trend nowadays for people to criticise others' looks, I am theorising that some do it out of jealousy or (e.g. a fat man saying that a very attractive actress looks "masculine") sour grapes.
    Yeah people who are excessively critical are often jealous or lack self-esteem.

But in my experience this is not a new trend, there will always be critics and jealous people I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Yeah people who are excessively critical are often jealous or lack self-esteem.

But in my experience this is not a new trend, there will always be critics and jealous people I think.
    Yes perhaps social media etc. just makes it more apparent

I don't see the point :dontknow:

didn't read lol :teehee:
    Shocker :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Equally, do "good looking/attractive" people get a kick out of criticizing "average" people's looks?

ReputationRep:
    /
    Hilarious seeing you keep on at it. Why don't you get off anon and actually debate? You just keep proving me right lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIIjcetMul0

Hilarious seeing you keep on at it. Why don't you get off anon and actually debate? You just keep proving me right lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIIjcetMul0
    I don't post in this section unless anonymous so why would I do that? I think you seem a bit more upset compadre considering that you are still replying to me and pretending as if you haven't read my posts. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yes perhaps social media etc. just makes it more apparent
    Yeah I'd agree with that, social media tends to bring out or highlight some really horrible human behaviours.

ReputationRep:
    I keep posting on anon for the exact reasons OP pointed out, and am too cowardly to get off.
    I agree lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    Equally, do "good looking/attractive" people get a kick out of criticizing "average" people's looks?
    I would say they do but for slightly different reasons although again I think insecurity

I am average looking but was pretty "popular," there was a hot guy at my school who had the social skills of a neckbeard lol. He used to try and bully me (badly because he didn't have many friends) and we made up eventually, he admitted it was because he felt insecure around me and like everyone liked me more than him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.