can any one help me about illusions in great gatsby ????
x Turn on thread page Beta
illusons in great gatsby watch
- Thread Starter
- 20-10-2015 11:43
- 20-10-2015 19:58
- Gatsby's illusion that he can 'turn back time';
- Gatsby's illusion of his social standing;
- The illusion of Gatsby himself (his house, his props, his clothes, his parties - the ultimate showman);
- The illusion of Nick's metafiction - the title (Gatsby's given the epithet 'great', which is undeniably misleading, archetypal of a novel from the Romantics - which it obviously strays far away from);
- The illusions amid the poor - look at Wilson, for example - he believes in getting the car off Tom and ultimately kills Gatsby because he has realised that there is no way to escape his social class (it's a liminal space);
- Perhaps the illusion of Daisy, who she actually really is;
- The illusion of the next generation (this would be nice for context);
- Tom's unawareness of Daisy and Gatsby's affair;
- How Owl Eyes is the only one who can truly see past these illusions.