Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will I get my money back? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I enquired on a web development course on 28th September, he stated to be on the course I would need full payment. We agreed that a £100 deposit would put my seat on the course, however, if full payment was not made, someone else who made the full payment could take my seat.

So on the 1st October, I called and instead of £100 deposit, he asked for £150 just to be safe and we agreed to pay the remanding amount of £700 on 12th October that would officially confirm me on the course. However their was an email saying I am registered on the course.

On the 13th I called instead of the 12th, I paid the £700 giving my debit card details, however, he put the phone down and told me that he will take care of the rest.

I now don't want to do it and the terms and conditions say within 7 days of the enrolment I am entitled to a refund, he said their could be problems because I registered on the 1st October and he said a lots been happening such as course materials, which I found strange.

I'm sure I 'officilly' enrolled last tuesday on the 13th when I paid the remaining £700. I didn't get a '14 day cooling off period' which is a minimum by law: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...ouve-arranged/

What's your take on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CompSci89)
    I enquired on a web development course on 28th September, he stated to be on the course I would need full payment. We agreed that a £100 deposit would put my seat on the course, however, if full payment was not made, someone else who made the full payment could take my seat.

So on the 1st October, I called and instead of £100 deposit, he asked for £150 just to be safe and we agreed to pay the remanding amount of £700 on 12th October that would officially confirm me on the course. However their was an email saying I am registered on the course.

On the 13th I called instead of the 12th, I paid the £700 giving my debit card details, however, he put the phone down and told me that he will take care of the rest.

I now don't want to do it and the terms and conditions say within 7 days of the enrolment I am entitled to a refund, he said their could be problems because I registered on the 1st October and he said a lots been happening such as course materials, which I found strange.

I'm sure I 'officilly' enrolled last tuesday on the 13th when I paid the remaining £700.

What's your take on this?
    without being able to see the full terms and conditions I would say you officially enrolled on the 1st October, since this is when you registered/paid deposit etc...
    the date of paying off the balance is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    I've just phoned citizens advice, on the company's email their cancellation terms and conditions says:

Customer has a right to claim for a refund, if applied for and received within 7 days of enrolment date.

The individual on the phone from citizens advice told me this is absolute incorrect, they need to give me in a durable format, which is by either letter or email and '14 day cooling off period' and because they did not provide me this by phone or email, my right to claim for a refund extend to 12 months! They have passed the company details on to trading standards.

ReputationRep:
    Just the latest,

I've contacted citizens advise and they informed me that if they didn't give the right pre contract terms and conditions, I am entitled to a full refund.

I contacted my bank for a charge back today and they said I can't apply for one because I paid a deposit on the 1st and asked to cancel my course on the 19th so that is outside the 14 day cooling off period which I fully understand.

However, citzens advice after speaking to many people say if I was not given the right refund and cancellation terms and conditions in the first place, I am eligible for a full refund.

If you look at this link http://whatconsumer.co.uk/consumer-c...#axzz3ptDEgZJm it clearly states the 14 Days don't begin until I formally receive notification of 14 days. So until I receive this 14 fays, I have 14 days and one year to cancel.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.