Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

BIOLOGY: Stimulus-Receptor-BRAIN-Gastrin-Stomach-Gastric Juice? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am very stuck on this question:

Describe how a stimulus results in the release of Gastrin Hormone into the stomach. In your answer, include all neuronal pathways, receptors, effectors, and processes that take place. (9 marks)

Please help!!!
    Also: Neurotransmitter is NOT a hormone rite?

ReputationRep:
    Something about the vagus and acetylcholine somewhere. Brain is dead.

And no, neurotransmitters are not hormones.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i was thinking vagus nerves, but all that does it simply make the stomach muscle contract or whatever. Not sure how it causes gastrin to be released into the stomach??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Something about the vagus and acetylcholine somewhere. Brain is dead.

And no, neurotransmitters are not hormones.
    Noradrenaline is both a neurotransmitter and a hormone.

ReputationRep:
    ha I thought there was a link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    yeah i was thinking vagus nerves, but all that does it simply make the stomach muscle contract or whatever. Not sure how it causes gastrin to be released into the stomach??
    Vagus also provides secretomotor supply to the peptic cells - the neurotransmitter from the vagus to the G cells is either ACh or gastrin-releasing peptide.

Gastrin release acts directly on parietal cells to increase acid secretion. It also acts indirectly by increasing histamine production, which stimulates the parietal cell further, increasing acid release

ReputationRep:
    but how does gastrin hormone GET INTO the stomach organ?

infact where does it come from in the first place where does it travel through to get to it??

ReputationRep:
    but how does gastrin hormone GET INTO the stomach organ?

infact where does it come from in the first place where does it travel through to get to it??
    Gastrin is produced in G-cells within the stomach wall (in some special glands whose name I can't remember) - it's stored in those cells and released into the stomach when the cells are stimulated.

ReputationRep:
    how are those cells stimulated? can u sorta describe it in steps?

ReputationRep:
    how are those cells stimulated? can u sorta describe it in steps?
    By the vagus nerve, as I have already said. Using acetylcholine as a transmitter.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.