The Student Room Group

Dundee Medicine 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguin man
I wish you the best of luck!

We're in the same boat!

fingers crossed for us :smile:
Dundee vs Glasgow? Both courses are similar in structure but Dundee may be slightly better in delivery so Dundee wins for course quality. Glasgow is a cool city with lots going on (albeit some scummy parts) so Glasgow wins in terms of city. Current score is 1 - 1. These are my personal views and subject to change so any disagreements and opinions are very welcome
Reply 762
Original post by Junioh
same :frown:
What type of things are you planning to do in the gap year??

Lots of work experience in as many branches of medicine as possible. Going to arrange it when (or if :smile: ) the rejection comes through for dundee or after exams.

Dofe silver. Only did bronze so maybe a step up would be good.

Try to learn new things. It's a full year without any studying! Probably learn a language and instrument haha.

Try and travel as well. I reckon unis would like to see you have seen what hospitals are like in eldc's. Even just work experience in rural areas so Aberdeen seem more impressed😂

Just as much as possible. What about you :smile:
Original post by JS98
Lots of work experience in as many branches of medicine as possible. Going to arrange it when (or if :smile: ) the rejection comes through for dundee or after exams.

Dofe silver. Only did bronze so maybe a step up would be good.

Try to learn new things. It's a full year without any studying! Probably learn a language and instrument haha.

Try and travel as well. I reckon unis would like to see you have seen what hospitals are like in eldc's. Even just work experience in rural areas so Aberdeen seem more impressed😂

Just as much as possible. What about you :smile:

I'm hoping to find a part-time(or full-time) job, start to prepare for the ukcat as early as possible, try to do some WE(probably quite hard to find), mostly volunteering, and restart my violin&piano(not touched them since 5th yr lmao)
I might even do another relevant part-time at college as I'm worried that I might forget stuff in the gap year!
Reply 764
Original post by Junioh
I'm hoping to find a part-time(or full-time) job, start to prepare for the ukcat as early as possible, try to do some WE(probably quite hard to find), mostly volunteering, and restart my violin&piano(not touched them since 5th yr lmao)
I might even do another relevant part-time at college as I'm worried that I might forget stuff in the gap year!

Yeah that sounds good!

A full time job would be great. Not only for your application but you will have loads of money to pay for accommodation :smile:

I was thinking about doing the same (taking a college course) but I wasn't sure what levels of course college have to offer cause I kind of wanted to another advanced higher. Whether they do them I have no idea, I've not checked.

Good luck anyway, hope you get into Dundee. There's always the possibility that an unexpected email comes through during summer telling you Aberdeen have accepted you from their waiting list :smile: :smile:
Original post by JS98
Yeah that sounds good!

A full time job would be great. Not only for your application but you will have loads of money to pay for accommodation :smile:

I was thinking about doing the same (taking a college course) but I wasn't sure what levels of course college have to offer cause I kind of wanted to another advanced higher. Whether they do them I have no idea, I've not checked.

Good luck anyway, hope you get into Dundee. There's always the possibility that an unexpected email comes through during summer telling you Aberdeen have accepted you from their waiting list :smile: :smile:

That's what I was thinking! If I didn't get into Edinburgh next year I would need to pay for my accommodation.. I was thinking of doing advanced higher physics(probably not that relevant) or some sort of biomed/biochem course.. I've not checked either..
good luck too js! Fingers-crossed!!
I'm checking my track, email and evision like every five mins... :<
Reply 766
Original post by Junioh
fingers crossed for you paz!

fingers crossed for you too! Life will become clearer, you will figure things out, and everything will be sorted. Just hang in there and have strength because that's the best you can do :biggrin:
Anyone heard back? :/
Original post by Penguin man
Anyone heard back? :/

Still nothing :c
nothing today :<
Rejected. The only hope of me getting in this year now is from Aberdeen's waiting list. I really don't know what went wrong as I thought my interview for Dundee was okay as a whole. :frown:
Original post by Rainbownightlock
Rejected. The only hope of me getting in this year now is from Aberdeen's waiting list. I really don't know what went wrong as I thought my interview for Dundee was okay as a whole. :frown:

:frown: sorry to hear that rainbow...
I'm freaking out ahhhhh
Did you apply for a backup??

Sorry to hear *hugs*
Original post by Junioh
:frown: sorry to hear that rainbow...
I'm freaking out ahhhhh
Did you apply for a backup??

I did apply for anatomy at Glasgow and I've got an unconditional for that. But I don't want to take it so if nothing comes from this waiting list, then I'll be applying again this October.
I did apply for anatomy at Glasgow and I've got an unconditional for that. But I don't want to take it so if nothing comes from this waiting list, then I'll be applying again this October.

:console: have you asked for feedback??
I'm shitting myself... :< I don't wanna know now...
Original post by Junioh
:console: have you asked for feedback??
I'm shitting myself... :< I don't wanna know now...

I will definitely be asking for feedback. I really want to know why they didn't think I did well enough in the interview to get a place.

Keep holding on, Junioh. Remember that you've done so well to get this far and not all is lost yet. And even if we both have to reapply, most people who do so get in after then.
I will definitely be asking for feedback. I really want to know why they didn't think I did well enough in the interview to get a place.

Keep holding on, Junioh. Remember that you've done so well to get this far and not all is lost yet. And even if we both have to reapply, most people who do so get in after then.

Does Dundee have a waiting list??
The wait is agonizing.. I felt that I have tried my hardest, and I'm sure you did too. Maybe applying for medicine needs a wee bit of luck too and we're just slightly unlucky this year.
I really don't know now, I'm not sure if I have a higher chance of getting in if I take a gap year, obviously that's an option, but I really don't know... Initially I told myself that I will take a gap year if I get rejected from everywhere, but that's when I felt confident that somewhere will want me. But no. Dundee is literally my only hope
Now I don't really know if I will EVER get in to a medical school. I hate the UKCAT and I doubt that I will ever get a great UKCAT. The stress of going through another cycle of applying medicine seems daunting.
I know a lot people say medicine comes down to perseverance and hard-work, but I met someone at the interview and it was his 4th time of applying for medicine, he also did an undergraduate course after being rejected several times and now he's applying again. He is very extroverted and humorous and I'm sure he would make a great doctor, but perseverance is not always practical is it?
I can't guarantee that I will get in the second time. The competition is increasing drastically every year...
Especially the UKCAT..
Reply 777

I was in the same position as you four years ago and ended up just doing my backup which is Anatomy at Glasgow! It actually worked out really well because I applied again this year and managed to get two offers! And now I have the experience and knowledge that would help me for medicine! So it's definitely not the be all and end all doing your backup! Anatomy is a great course at Glasgow :smile:
Original post by LHC
I was in the same position as you four years ago and ended up just doing my backup which is Anatomy at Glasgow! It actually worked out really well because I applied again this year and managed to get two offers! And now I have the experience and knowledge that would help me for medicine! So it's definitely not the be all and end all doing your backup! Anatomy is a great course at Glasgow :smile:

I wish I was as determined and brave as you... Congratz!
I might consider taking my backup then... Did you do any voluntary work/WE during your undergraduate degree?
Original post by Junioh
Does Dundee have a waiting list??
The wait is agonizing.. I felt that I have tried my hardest, and I'm sure you did too. Maybe applying for medicine needs a wee bit of luck too and we're just slightly unlucky this year.
I really don't know now, I'm not sure if I have a higher chance of getting in if I take a gap year, obviously that's an option, but I really don't know... Initially I told myself that I will take a gap year if I get rejected from everywhere, but that's when I felt confident that somewhere will want me. But no. Dundee is literally my only hope
Now I don't really know if I will EVER get in to a medical school. I hate the UKCAT and I doubt that I will ever get a great UKCAT. The stress of going through another cycle of applying medicine seems daunting.
I know a lot people say medicine comes down to perseverance and hard-work, but I met someone at the interview and it was his 4th time of applying for medicine, he also did an undergraduate course after being rejected several times and now he's applying again. He is very extroverted and humorous and I'm sure he would make a great doctor, but perseverance is not always practical is it?
I can't guarantee that I will get in the second time. The competition is increasing drastically every year...
Especially the UKCAT..

This is all hypothetical at the moment since you haven't yet been rejected from all 4 places. I do understand your torment though. Personally despite having done a degree, I feel a gap year would have done me the world of good leaving school, as a person if not necessarily for medicine. It is daunting though. You did well enough to get interviews which says academically you have what it takes to get to the interview stage.
Assuming you do well in your final year of school, applying again now would more likely result in an unconditional were you successful, takes the pressure off a bit at school. That is not a luxury available to you if you start a degree as you must finish and the bench mark is moved each year so it could be a 2:1 or a 1st. Even just taking the time to do the UKCAT again will give you a good idea of where you stand for next year, plus if you do it early you may still be in time for clearing through UCAS at the universities if you don't think you did well enough to give the application process another go at that point.
Extroverted and humorous doesn't necessarily spell good medic. There are other qualities you need to explore in yourself. A gap year will help you do that. I found experiences like Camp America and Volunteering really opened up my eyes to the person I was and how I could improve myself, experiences which I don't think I would be in the position I am in without. They also make GREAT talking points at interview. Pretty sure all I talked about was Guide Dogs and Camp America, and because they are so real and mean so much, passion comes across much better. They tend to be more unique to you and that comes across. Everyone does Duke of Edinburgh because its a good thing to do, but not many people choose these experiences for themselves and organise them themselves.
Get all the feedback you can from any and all interviews. There will probably be one or two particular things that held you back. If you feel those are things you can work on before interviews in Nov/Dec then go for it! I didn't go on interview course but read two interview books, one on interviews and one on ethics, and practiced over and over and over and over (you get the idea) with each person, until they literally can't stand the sight of you. You'd think I'd run out of questions but when you come across the same question, answer it differently and see what reaction you get to each, note it down. choose which gets the best response. Family and friends might not be doctors or med students but they are the members of the public you would be treating so they will have some idea of how they would like to be treated.
Having said this, if you apply again next year and didn't get in, I would seriously consider taking a degree in something that interests you other than medicine. Related degrees are inherently useful and the university experience will help you when it comes to doing it post-degree. You would be far from alone. Pretty sure half my course has applied! University is great for shaping you as a person, building independence, experiencing new sports and hobbies you would never have considered and of course learning about something that you might enjoy/find useful. It is by no means a waste of your time. Of course we would all love to walk straight into medicine but for a lot of people it doesn't work like that. Some of our lecturers think that we should have a similar system to the US where you have to do a degree before medicine because it really helps you consider if it is right for you and helps you mature (without the extortionate fees).
I think it is naive to apply over and over again, I would say 3-4 times is probably the maximum you should spend applying because at that point you should probably consider what it is that doesn't make you right for medicine that makes you great for something else (own personal opinion). It's great to have passion but it also good to recognise strengths and weaknesses and where you can apply them. You might discover something great. However applying twice is more than common and you should definitely go for it if you still feel medicine is what you are game for! You will not be alone and you never know what you might discover in yourself. Sorry for the essay but hope this helps you weigh it all up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending