Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why are you allowed to divide by cosx here when cosx could = 0, as the domain is between 0 and 2pi ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1445346795.095065.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  81.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoymous1111)
    Why are you allowed to divide by cosx here when cosx could = 0, as the domain is between 0 and 2pi ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're not.

ReputationRep:
    You can divide by \cos x because \cos x = 0 isn't a solution. You're not allowed to divide by cos x when you can factor it out, if you can't factor it out, then divide through by all means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You can divide by \cos x because \cos x = 0 isn't a solution. You're not allowed to divide by cos x when you can factor it out, if you can't factor it out, then divide through by all means.
    How do you know that cosx = 0 isn't a solution?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that cosx = 0 isn't a solution?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's like having 3x +2 = -x, and then saying x=0 is a solution.

When \cos x = 0 then you need 3\sin x = 0 for the RHS = LHS and make cos x = 0 a solution, but cos x = 0 doesn't make 3 sin x = 0 a solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    It's like having 3x +2 = -x, and then saying x=0 is a solution.

When \cos x = 0 then you need 3\sin x = 0 for the RHS = LHS and make cos x = 0 a solution, but cos x = 0 doesn't make 3 sin x = 0 a solution.
    Is that because sinx and cosx never equal 0 for the same value of X?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's because, you aren't really loosing the cos, you're converting it to tan instead, so you're still conserving the cos solutions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnyDavidson)
    It's because, you aren't really loosing the cos, you're converting it to tan instead, so you're still conserving the cos solutions
    Really? Ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is my reply correct in post 7?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is what this person says true about being able to divide if both sides can't equal 0 at any given angle? Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1445349352.812487.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  104.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yups.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes - whenever you have acos x = bsin x for some constants a and b then you can divide by cos x (or sin x) because there are no angles x which have cos x = sin x = 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Yes - whenever you have acos x = bsin x for some constants a and b then you can divide by cos x (or sin x) because there are no angles x which have cos x = sin x = 0
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unfortunately, some of the answers here only give explanations that work in the very particular context in involving ... sin(x) = ... cos(x) and the fact that sin and cos cannot equal zero simultaneously; ... whilst this is true in the context, it does not answer your original question (needless to say there are many contexts when dividing an equation by cos x may be desirable).

The reality is that many texts, especially uk text books, tend to be very, very slack and lazy when defining mathematical concepts.

In the true sense, to claim that tan(x)= sin(x) / cos(x) is not quite correct.

to claim that tan(x)=sin(x) / cos(x) where x can be any real number with the exception that x cannot = 90 + n180, where n is an integer is correct..

hmmm, I should have typed that in Latex really, but tired...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpm)
    Unfortunately, some of the answers here only give explanations that work in the very particular context in involving ... sin(x) = ... cos(x) and the fact that sin and cos cannot equal zero simultaneously; ... whilst this is true in the context, it does not answer your original question (needless to say there are many contexts when dividing an equation by cos x may be desirable).

The reality is that many texts, especially uk text books, tend to be very, very slack and lazy when defining mathematical concepts.

to claim that tan(x)=sin(x) / cos(x) where x can be any real number with the exception that x cannot = 90 + n180, where n is an integer is correct..

That makes much more sense! Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by dpm)

There's nothing wrong with most of the explanations given above and they do answer the 'original question', because the 'original question' was precisely about a specific equation!

Those values for which tan x is undefined are precisely the values for which cos x = 0, so if you know that cos x can't be zero - as we do in the 'original question' - then it's perfectly valid to divide by cos x and assert that tan x = sin x / cos x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    There's nothing wrong with most of the explanations given above and they do answer the 'original question', because the 'original question' was precisely about a specific equation!

Those values for which tan x is undefined are precisely the values for which cos x = 0, so if you know that cos x can't be zero - as we do in the 'original question' - then it's perfectly valid to divide by cos x and assert that tan x = sin x / cos x.
    Not according to my view of the topic.
    The original question was, and I quote:
    "Why are you allowed to divide by cosx here when cosx could = 0, as the domain is between 0 and 2pi ???"

this is the precise question that I answered. Precisely.

That not withstanding, the point I make regarding the general appalling way that concepts are portrayed in so many texts stands.

** The op seemed to appreciate the little extra added, so that's good enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpm)
    "Why are you allowed to divide by cosx here when cosx could = 0, as the domain is between 0 and 2pi ???"

That not withstanding, the point I make regarding the general appalling way that concepts are portrayed in so many texts stands.

** The op seemed to appreciate the little extra added, so that's good enough for me.
    It's not. Note the use of the word here that the OP explicitly used to refer to the problem that she posted in the second post.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by dpm)

I don't want to drag the OP's thread off course with a minor dispute, but please note the word highlighted in bold above. The OP's clear intention was to refer to the specific problem which was actually attached in his second post!

You correctly pointed out that textbooks often gloss over the fact that we can only write tan x = sin x / cos x when tan x is defined, but you weren't correcting any of the previous posters because they explained that we needed cos x not equal to zero for the division to be valid, and this condition is precisely the same as saying 'tan x is defined'

Hopefully the OP has enough from all of us to have a better understanding of why the process was correct for the specific problem he attached. It's better to see students asking about this than blindly assuming we can divide by things all the time, which is the more common error!

EDIT: beaten by Zacken while I was composing my essay

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.