Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are we genuinely passionate about our belief systems? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Political parties, religion, feminism, environmentalism etc..
    Do we like to identify with these groups because we as human beings, the social animals we are, like to identify ourselves with a higher collective?

Or are we genuinely passionate about these issues?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Do we like to identify with these groups because we as human beings, the social animals we are, like to identify ourselves with a higher collective?

people need to believe in something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    people need to believe in something.
    Need is a strong word. Can we expand on this

ReputationRep:

I think they relate to people's development and maturation, on both an individual level and at a societal level

The different belief systems are at different levels in the hierarchy

ReputationRep:
    People like jumping on bandwagons.

ReputationRep:
    I think deep down we are afraid, sometimes we are afraid what will happen when we die, heaven hell scenario, so we get attached to God/Church, generally people will choose church/temple etc where they can go often and the circle they are in, sort of community feeling so they dont feel afraid, If we are lonely we will get afraid, I think a person will join anything as long he feels secure and safe. !

ReputationRep:
    I'm certainly passionate about Christ and his teaching for sure

ReputationRep:
    Need is a strong word. Can we expand on this
    If you don't believe in anything what is the point in continuing to exist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is no point? Why does there need to be a point? I don't believe humans as a species have any point to exist. We arrived here by chance same as any other animals. We're just serving our time here, and once we are done, something else will take our place.

A 'meaningless' life, for me, is not any less fulfilling. I have a pretty amazing life. I've traveled around the world, met great friends, had good times. My life doesn't need a meaning or purpose. I just take it as it comes. (That's what she said?)

ReputationRep:
    There is no point? Why does there need to be a point? I don't believe humans as a species have any point to exist. We arrived here by chance same as any other animals. We're just serving our time here, and once we are done, something else will take our place.

A 'meaningless' life, for me, is not any less fulfilling. I have a pretty amazing life. I've traveled around the world, met great friends, had good times. My life doesn't need a meaning or purpose. I just take it as it comes. (That's what she said?)
    It seems to me that you purpose in life is to enjoy yourself while you serve your time.

What drives you to visit the world?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that you purpose in life is to enjoy yourself while you serve your time.

What drives you to visit the world?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah i'm a self - described hedonist. It's not my 'purpose' as such. I also want to find a nice, challenging career that pushes me outside my comfort zone.

I'm a people person. I'm fascinated by food, music art culture. Travelling gently exposes these things to me as opposed to reading about it on the internet, which is a bit too much.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that sums it up quite well. :angelwings:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'm a self - described hedonist. It's not my 'purpose' as such. I also want to find a nice, challenging career that pushes me outside my comfort zone.

I'm a people person. I'm fascinated by food, music art culture. Travelling gently exposes these things to me as opposed to reading about it on the internet, which is a bit too much.
    Do you believe that you can find a challenging career?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.