Sociology and Politics or Politics and International Relations?

Watch this thread
acupofgreentea
Badges: 14
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm really interested in sociology, politics and international relations, but can't find many degrees which allow me to do all three.

I think sociology would give me more versatility in terms of what I can do afterward, but I definitely want to study international relations. In the experience of people who have done a politics degree before (and sociology, if any of you are out there), how much do you learn about international relations? I want to know if I should consider doing politics and international relations or I'll learn a fair bit on politics, anyway.

Thanks in advance!
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
:bump:

Posting so it's easy for me to find in my recent posts. (Bumping on a side note.)

XcitingStuart
shak21
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by acupofgreentea)
I'm really interested in sociology, politics and international relations, but can't find many degrees which allow me to do all three.

I think sociology would give me more versatility in terms of what I can do afterward, but I definitely want to study international relations. In the experience of people who have done a politics degree before (and sociology, if any of you are out there), how much do you learn about international relations? I want to know if I should consider doing politics and international relations or I'll learn a fair bit on politics, anyway.

Thanks in advance!
I'm in the exact same situation but I cant find any good universities that do sociology and politics or sociology and international relations. Which one did you go for and did it have aspects of all 3 subjects? Thank you
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by shak21)
I'm in the exact same situation but I cant find any good universities that do sociology and politics or sociology and international relations. Which one did you go for and did it have aspects of all 3 subjects? Thank you
Hi there,

I studied Sociology at the University of Bath and have just finished this year.

At Bath, we offer both a Sociology course and a Politics and International Relations course, which you can read more about here and here. What is great about both courses, is that there is the opportunity to do modules from different departments, so even if you study Sociology you can access the Politics and International Relations modules and vice versa. In my first year for example I did a module in International Relations titled "Thinking and working cross-culturally: an introduction to social analysis of development", which was really interesting and engaging. You might also find other universities offer this as well.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask

Isobel (A Final Year Sociology Student)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (48)
26.09%
As I expected (60)
32.61%
Harder (68)
36.96%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.35%

Watched Threads