Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For the past 2 years I've had no problem with my car being registered at home and me living away at uni, it was clearly stated in my policy and previous companies had no issue with it. However the company I've chosen to go with this year, and who have already taken payment before clarifying this, are insisting I change the address on my driver's licence and car log book within the next 28 days or they won't insure me.
    Does anyone know what I can do to amend this situation as I'm only at uni for around 6 more months with being at home for xmas 2 months in between, and it doesn't seem worth it at all. They've already taken payment though, so if they cancelled it would they keep all the money?

Thanks
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It doesn't cost anything to change your address, you can do it all online - get it sorted and you'll have your cheap insurance. Why wouldn't you want to change the address?

ReputationRep:
    Why the sh*t your insurer is even looking at your V5C and license address is beyond me. It is completely irrelevent to there cover.

Anywho you are completely in the right provided you have done things correctly whist taking out the policy. Your policy address should be your permanent correspondence address (your folks; the same address on your V5C and license). However insurers normally ask a question of "Where is the vehicle kept" or "Where is the vehicle parked overnight" once asked this you must state the address where the car will be parked for most of the year (your uni flat address). I dont know what the hell your insurer is trying to pull. I can only assume you put your policy address as your non-permanent address which is why they are getting pissy.

I would call them up and state that you are unable to change the address on your V5C and license as you are currently at a "non-permanent residency" and that this paperwork is registered to your "permanent correspondence address". State that you want to ensure that your policy is registered to your permanent correspondence address HOWEVER you are keeping the vehicle at your non-permanent residency address for 6months or more a year. If they continue to **** you around I would just cancel the policy and try go elsewhere.

Im also afraid to say they will most likely be wanting more money from you regardless of what you do. If your policy address is wrong they will charge a fortune to fix it. If your keepers address is wrong they may increase your quote. If you want to cancel even if the policy has not gone live they will most likely want a small brokers fee (£20-30) since you have already gave them cash (dont do this by the way until you are sure of the details). If the policy has gone live and its been less than 14 days expect a reasonable fee (£10-30 fee + the brokers fee + a full month of insurance off your refund). If its been more than 14 days expect and exorbitant fee.

Out of curiosity what insurer is it that you are with? Some arnt exceptionally terrible but others are out and out thieving bast*rds

EDIT: Just reread the question. They wont keep ALL the money. They will refund you the years policy minus numerous fees and most likely a full months of insurance (~10% of the total amount). DONT LET THEM CANCEL THE POLICY ON YOU THOUGH! Make sure YOU cancel it. If you ignore them for 28 days and they cancel it for you, you technically need to declare that when seeking insurance in future. They use this as an excuse to charge an absolute fortune as your now a high risk customer to them. If you do not declare it then sometimes insurers share databases and will find out regardless which will put you in **** with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Why the sh*t your insurer is even looking at your V5C and license address is beyond me. It is completely irrelevent to there cover.

Anywho you are completely in the right provided you have done things correctly whist taking out the policy. Your policy address should be your permanent correspondence address (your folks; the same address on your V5C and license). However insurers normally ask a question of "Where is the vehicle kept" or "Where is the vehicle parked overnight" once asked this you must state the address where the car will be parked for most of the year (your uni flat address). I dont know what the hell your insurer is trying to pull. I can only assume you put your policy address as your non-permanent address which is why they are getting pissy.

I would call them up and state that you are unable to change the address on your V5C and license as you are currently at a "non-permanent residency" and that this paperwork is registered to your "permanent correspondence address". State that you want to ensure that your policy is registered to your permanent correspondence address HOWEVER you are keeping the vehicle at your non-permanent residency address for 6months or more a year. If they continue to **** you around I would just cancel the policy and try go elsewhere.

Im also afraid to say they will most likely be wanting more money from you regardless of what you do. If your policy address is wrong they will charge a fortune to fix it. If your keepers address is wrong they may increase your quote. If you want to cancel even if the policy has not gone live they will most likely want a small brokers fee (£20-30) since you have already gave them cash (dont do this by the way until you are sure of the details). If the policy has gone live and its been less than 14 days expect a reasonable fee (£10-30 fee + the brokers fee + a full month of insurance off your refund). If its been more than 14 days expect and exorbitant fee.

Out of curiosity what insurer is it that you are with? Some arnt exceptionally terrible but others are out and out thieving bast*rds

EDIT: Just reread the question. They wont keep ALL the money. They will refund you the years policy minus numerous fees and most likely a full months of insurance (~10% of the total amount). DONT LET THEM CANCEL THE POLICY ON YOU THOUGH! Make sure YOU cancel it. If you ignore them for 28 days and they cancel it for you, you technically need to declare that when seeking insurance in future. They use this as an excuse to charge an absolute fortune as your now a high risk customer to them. If you do not declare it then sometimes insurers share databases and will find out regardless which will put you in **** with them.
    Hey, I'm not the writer but I was just wondering if you could help me out with insurance question. I'm a student living away in uni (spending most of my time at uni rather than home) so do I need to put my uni address as my address or can i put my home address? My V5C and drivers license is registered at home. My uni address seems to be 1000 pounds more expensive than my home which is just ridiculous....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CAElite)

I agree

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.