Turn on thread page Beta

Materialism is totally unfulfilling watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As some of you may or may not know, last month I placed an order on a brand new BMW M4. I've saved up for weeks for this car and spent literally spent months drooling over it.

Two weeks or so later, my arch rival, bought a 911. I was not happy but it's ok, he works 80 hours a week and can't enjoy it anyway.

Since I have no parking where My flat is, I was going to park it at my parents house in North London. I told my parents that our neighbours would be well jealous since the car looks totally bad ass and really stands out on the driveway - so yeh, I was still happy.

Now through some sick twist of fate, not one but TWO, white M4 coupes have appeared in reasonably close proximity to our house. Not only that but one of the houses already has a Ferrari 458 Italia.

Basically materialism sucks. You just can't find happiness through buying things, not cars anyway.

So if you're thinking, OMG I wish I had what X,Y and Z have, just remember, they're thinking the exact same thing about someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Is this what all of your posts have been leading up to? A trite life lesson?

ReputationRep:
    Buying books makes me feel happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    As some of you may or may not know, last month I placed an order on a brand new BMW M4. I've saved up for weeks for this car and spent literally spent months drooling over it.

Two weeks or so later, my arch rival, bought a 911. I was not happy but it's ok, he works 80 hours a week and can't enjoy it anyway.

Since I have no parking where My flat is, I was going to park it at my parents house in North London. I told my parents that our neighbours would be well jealous since the car looks totally bad ass and really stands out on the driveway - so yeh, I was still happy.

Now through some sick twist of fate, not one but TWO, white M4 coupes have appeared in reasonably close proximity to our house. Not only that but one of the houses already has a Ferrari 458 Italia.

Basically materialism sucks. You just can't find happiness through buying things, not cars anyway.

So if you're thinking, OMG I wish I had what X,Y and Z have, just remember, they're thinking the exact same thing about someone else.
    Lol, you can only afford a flat.

ReputationRep:
    I feel bad for the people who believe this little kid and give serious replies to his threads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Buying books makes me feel happy.
    The 50 shades of grey kind, or the Tolstoy kind?

ReputationRep:
    Haha materialism does not provide long term happiness but better to have than not have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)

I think everyone knows this, but because they don't know what would make them happy, they continue living this life of seeking after the next big thing or experience, experiences beat things though

Materialism is more about excitement than happiness, but people mistake the excitement for happiness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    The 50 shades of grey kind
    Those aren't books, just paper that happens to have ink on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    The 50 shades of grey kind, or the Tolstoy kind?
    I did buy Life and Fate not long ago ^.^

Nothing wrong with 50 shades... I can't staid book snobs. Considering I grew up on sci-fi and fantasy I;m used to the patronizing *******s from manstreasmers. Mainstream lit is just lit for people that want life and society to stand still. Watching them squirm trying to get around from the fact Song of ice and Fire is definitely fantasy is too funny.

ReputationRep:
    I demand pictures of you standing next to the car, or you're lying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    Those aren't books, just paper that happens to have ink on it
    Which are helpfully very absorbent.

ReputationRep:
    Your life is so hard stay strong OP

ReputationRep:
    Wow! you finally made a half decent thread that doesn't revolve around you majority of the time.

Well this one does still revolve around you, but at least it is has a deeper meaning to it. And holds some substance.

Not like your other dribble and rather pointless threads which were irrelevant and shallow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    I feel bad for the people who believe this little kid and give serious replies to his threads

Lol if I were a 16 year old kid is be the greatest troll known to man kind. But I'm not.

I just thought I should make a thread which will help people not to make the same mistakes that I have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    I demand pictures of you standing next to the car, or you're lying
    haven't got it yet init

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're buying things to make other people jealous rather than buying things that make you happy then ye.

ReputationRep:
    BMW Drivers: The Post

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand, do people stay on these forums long after they have finished being students? I keep seeing posts from people who are in their 30's with jobs and lifestyles that can not possibly give them time to be students? Not hating just really curious.

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.