Turn on thread page Beta

Stressed out about buying my first car watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a few more lessons to go before it will be time for my test. I am much more worried about buying a car than I am about passing the test. I assume that most people buy their first cars used (unless they're minted). I am very nervous about the idea of visiting a dodgy stranger's house and bartering with them over a used car. It just seems there are a variety of things that could go wrong. I am not a very astute judge of character and I'd be worried about getting scammed. I also wouldn't know what questions to ask. I'd be a bit worried about safety too. I am nervous just thinking about it.

Would I be better off just buying from a dealer? It seems there would be less chance of getting scammed, or of any awkward situations arising, compared to buying from a private seller.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a friend or relative who knows their way around a car? If so, take them with you when you go to view it; they should be able to pick up on any issues that the car may have. You can also pay a mechanic to check the car over before you buy it to make sure that there aren't any problems or things that are about to go catastrophically wrong.

ReputationRep:
    A lot depends in the price range of the car. Anything under £2000 and you get more car buying privately. If buying from a dealer, you can buy extended warranties from dealers to pay for any fixes if it goes wrong, there is usually a cap on the cost though normally about £500 which is not a lot but better than nothing.

Best to ask around the family to see if anyone wants to sell you their car, at least you know who to get hold of if it goes wrong.

If buying privately, do an HPI check to see if the car has outstanding loans, been subject of an insurance claim or stolen.

ReputationRep:
    You need to take someone with you who knows a thing or two about what they are looking at.

ReputationRep:
    Yep definitely try and take someone with you who knows what they're doing, I brought my dad as he's bought a lot of second hand cars before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    quit being a little *****, do some research and buy a car

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.