Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sign Petition against BBC Bias watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The BBC and other news organisations are treating the referendum as if there are 3 major parties in favour and just a few minors against. But this is a referendum. Half the electorate are for and half against. This means 50-50 coverage.

Sign this petition to make your views known: https://www.change.org/p/bbc-itv-sky...-eu-referendum

ReputationRep:
    the republic of wadiyah should also be independent

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn. I don't like the EU but I hate UKIP far more and absolutely do not want want to be on the same side as ukip and the right of the Tory party.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, if we can make SKY and every other mainstream news source do it.

Why pick on the beeb? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newpersonage)
    The BBC and other news organisations are treating the referendum as if there are 3 major parties in favour and just a few minors against.
    Are they? Labour haven't even made their mind up yet, for one.

But this is a referendum. Half the electorate are for and half against. This means 50-50 coverage.
    That isn't how a referendum works. The AV referendum was almost unanimously rejected by the public.

(Original post by Bornblue)
    I'm torn. I don't like the EU but I hate UKIP far more and absolutely do not want want to be on the same side as ukip and the right of the Tory party.
    One of Labour's finest leaders on what you have just said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1JWPrtdlg

Think about it for a while and you should realise how childishly triablistic and vain it is. You should speak up for what you think, not for who you want to be seen to associate with.

ReputationRep:
    Hell, I wish the Facebook page could go an hour without posting about India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

Since when were we forced to pay for SKY?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Since when were we forced to pay for SKY?
    you aren't FORCED to pay for the BBC :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

The BBC is a public service broadcaster that is obliged to be impartial, regardless of all else. Sky's antics and position on things matter as much as the consistency of my morning turds in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newpersonage)
    The BBC and other news organisations are treating the referendum as if there are 3 major parties in favour and just a few minors against.
    Isn't this just a simple reporting of fact? The three main parties, Conservative, Labour and SNP have all stated a broad desire to remain in the EU. Smaller marginal parties like UKIP are in favour of being out.

The polls indeed to indicate that 50% of those questioned would like to leave, but that doesn't really tell us very much in relation to the referendum, just a snapshot opinion is at this point in time.

So where is your evidence that the BBC is being biassed? And did any petitions lodged with change.org ever actually change anything or is it just a place to have a good grumble?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    you aren't FORCED to pay for the BBC :erm:
    Well you are if you want to legally watch television even if you have no intention of ever watching the BBC.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Well you are if you want to legally watch television even if you have no intention of ever watching the BBC.
    Live TV. and that isn't force then. It's a choise that you can't survive without live TV

ReputationRep:
    I'm signing. There was blatant and anti-democratic BBC assaults on the UKIP party in the general election; even their 'impartial' political editor spent an entire interview on Farage's wife instead of policy.

The BBC has their own agenda, what political editor attacks the Chinese president on human rights to his face when we are supposed to be getting China's friendship and investment?..

We should keep the BBC, but not as a taxpayer funded organisation, instead as a subscription service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Or you could support your fellow citizens who will end up on a marginalised island offshore from a megastate. The UK's alienation from the EU will be worse than Scotland's alienation from the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Isn't this just a simple reporting of fact? The three main parties, Conservative, Labour and SNP have all stated a broad desire to remain in the EU. Smaller marginal parties like UKIP are in favour of being out.

The polls indeed to indicate that 50% of those questioned would like to leave, but that doesn't really tell us very much in relation to the referendum, just a snapshot opinion is at this point in time.

So where is your evidence that the BBC is being biassed? And did any petitions lodged with change.org ever actually change anything or is it just a place to have a good grumble?
    Firstly, the referendum is not a party political election, it is a poll of public opinion. Party proclivities should be unrelated to BBC coverage ratios.

Secondly, the BBC always reports anti-EU arguments with a sneer but they can maintain that their time spent sneering was time spent on coverage of the EU cause. Even pro-EU supporters that I know laugh and agree about about BBC coverage of the anti-EU faction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris012)
    what political editor attacks the Chinese president on human rights to his face when we are supposed to be getting China's friendship and investment?
    Did they? Excellent! Quite right too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris012)
    The BBC has their own agenda, what political editor attacks the Chinese president on human rights to his face when we are supposed to be getting China's friendship and investment?
    The BBC should be impartial and balanced.
    The BBC were in the wrong for asking a question that goes against the political interests of the current government....

Not sure I see the continuity there.

ReputationRep:
    BBC does, has and will always be a mouthpiece of whoever is in power. Hell look at there coverage for the Scottish Independence ref, both of them, ('79 & '14) if you want a reference to the Beebs big three agenda. The fact that they have a royal mandate to be impartial appears to be entirely irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_p)
    The BBC should be impartial and balanced.
    The BBC were in the wrong for asking a question that goes against the political interests of the current government....

Not sure I see the continuity there.
    Ithere is an argument that it's not restricted to the interests of 1 government, it's in the country's interest to see large inward investment, so the BBC trumpeting away bashing Xi about human rights isn't going to help.

Besides, if we're looking for a contradiction, the UK government on one hand has an enviable reputation for promoting human rights for all, and on the other is cheering on one of the world's worst countries for human rights, with more people executed in China than the rest of the world combined. You can't do both at once!

ReputationRep:
    Signed, the BBC is another example of the left wing (Bornblue) media machine

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.