Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Underweight watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been told by my sixth form college that I have to see a nurse. I have seen a nurse today and the nurse told me that college has concerns about me with the main concern about my weight. She measured my height and weight, then calculated my BMI. She said to me that I am extremely underweight and the college is concerned about my weight. She said that she would have to refer me to GP, which will refer me to dietologist and consequently put on weight. I don't want to put on weight, my parents are not concerned about my weight, my parents are not telling me to sick medical advice because of my weight! Why would my college tell me that I need to be referred to dietologist? Is it their business? When I applied to this college, I wasn't told that they tend to discriminate students because of their weight. I have told the nurse that I don't want to go to GP, my family doesn't see any problem. She said that she would pass this message to college staff. I don't know what is going to happen next..

ReputationRep:
    They're concerned for your health, stop moaning and listen to your gp

ReputationRep:
    I am not going to GP

ReputationRep:
    What is your weight and height?

ReputationRep:
    Height: 169 cm
    Weight: 41 kg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosmooos)
    Height: 169 cm
    Weight: 41 kg
    you are underweight

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educ...MI/bmicalc.htm

ReputationRep:
    I know

ReputationRep:
    The main point is that it's not their business

ReputationRep:
    The main point is that it's not their business
    but why are you underweight though ?

ReputationRep:
    I have always been underweight

ReputationRep:
    Would they make me put on weight against my wish? Is it legal in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    It's a dietary concern, you aren't eating enough to keep you fit and healthy. Look at daily guidelines for how much you should be eating and compare it to what you are eating now.

ReputationRep:
    I have always been underweight
    But you look okay in your PP.....

ReputationRep:
    Probably. However, the amount of food I eat is enough for me. I eat till I get full. I don't want to get stomachache due to overeating just to satisfy the college nurse

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! Because I think I am normal

ReputationRep:
    Chill out and have a pizza :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I want to pursue a model career. By making me put on weight they will ruin my future career. I am not pursuing a model career, it's just an example

ReputationRep:
    Would they make me put on weight against my wish? Is it legal in the UK?
    Your college can't make you see your GP and if you choose to see your GP they can't make you gain weight (unless you have an eating disorder and your life is at risk in which case you could be sectioned). Personally I find it very inappropriate that your college forced you to see a nurse and be assessed, I can see why they might want to check you're okay given your weight is very low but they shouldn't put pressure on you to do anything.

I would advise you do see your GP as you are quite underweight, they can just make sure you're not putting your health at risk and that there are no underlying medical problems. To be honest I doubt you will referred to a dietician, every service in the NHS is over subscribed so unless you are having serious issues with eating and have already tried to resolves them yourself they're not going to get you in with a dietician.

Do you have problems with food? You seem quite worried about being made to gain weight.

ReputationRep:
    Do you eat healthily/ have at least 3 meals a day?

ReputationRep:
    ...that's an anorexic BMI. You really ought to see your doctor.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.