Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alright peeps.

I've applied to do Geography at Sussex Uni, and have been offered a BBB/300 UCAS point offer. I was pretty confident of getting it until a few weeks back, and things have changed in my life pretty dramatically.

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer, and recently had an operation to remove it. She's starting chemo next week, and will be having it done once a week for quite a while.

All I seem to be able to think about is my mum, I can't concentrate on revision, and recently have started to find it hard to get to sleep. I'm worried that I may end up with a grade lower than I was hoping for, and don't know what to do.

Is it possible to contact the admissions tutors to let them know the situation in advance? Is it worth me dropping out of the UCAS process for a year and reapplying when I'm in a better mindstate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementalism)
    Alright peeps.

I've applied to do Geography at Sussex Uni, and have been offered a BBB/300 UCAS point offer. I was pretty confident of getting it until a few weeks back, and things have changed in my life pretty dramatically.

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer, and recently had an operation to remove it. She's starting chemo next week, and will be having it done once a week for quite a while.

All I seem to be able to think about is my mum, I can't concentrate on revision, and recently have started to find it hard to get to sleep. I'm worried that I may end up with a grade lower than I was hoping for, and don't know what to do.

Is it possible to contact the admissions tutors to let them know the situation in advance? Is it worth me dropping out of the UCAS process for a year and reapplying when I'm in a better mindstate?
    first off all i hope your mum makes a full recovery and that they caught it in time (my mum's best friend got diagnosed about this time last year and she responded really well to chemotherapy and radiotherapy and is looking really good now, hopefully your mum will be just as lucky)

i would speak to your college tutor/ a teacher you really like and ask their opinion. i had glandular fever in the autumn term and got really behind and one of my teachers offered to write to my uni in between my exams and results just to warn them that i had missed a lot of the course and had tried really hard to catch up etc, but in the end i went for the course that required the lowest grades and so she shouldn't need to. your teachers would probably be willing to do something similar (i would suprised if they wouldn't)

as for not going to uni this year, don't make any decisions at the mo, you've had a big shock- wait til august, see how you do in your exams, how your mum's doing and then decide.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    if you let the exam board, and your school/college know then you could be in with a chance of getting special consideration. try it, you won't lose anything.

ReputationRep:
    Alright peeps.

talk to your teachers at school, see what they advise. i would say email/ring the admissions tutor to inform them of the situation, and hte exam boards to i imagine. but your school/college should know what to do. if you're worried you could maybe defer then you could retake any modules next year if you need? i'm hoping to go to sussex too, to do human sciences! i've applied for deferred entry, getting scared now but i figure i can retake next year if i need!

Alright peeps.

Thier average grade entry is 22 for Geography so I would assume that if you can meet this (i.e. get BBC) then you should be in with a reasonable chance of gaining entry. If you were to explain your circumstances to them in addition (preferabley prior to results) then I am sure they would take that into account when assessing you as a near miss candidate.

ReputationRep:
    Alright peeps.

Last year while doing my AS's my dad was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer, as a result my grades dropped, if you explain the circumstances to the university after results day - because there is a chance you might get the grades, then I'm sure they'd give you special circumstances and accept you. If you feel you want to though, take a year out when you're in a more academical frame of mind. Hope all goes well with your mum. xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'd get in touch right now with the exam board, I think they like to know these things before you sit all of your exams. Also, it's probably worth emailing your uni to let them know that if you slip a grade you have a very good reason for it, that way at the very least it will be one less thing to have to explain on results day (they know your results and make their decision before you get your results, so if you wait until results day they made have filled the places..)

I hope your mum gets better soon, try not to worry about exams or university places too much.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.