Turn on thread page Beta

Getting a studio flat in Central London watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Normally as i have noticed around here, the students earn 500 pounds per month on an average but like the cost of a simple studio flat in London is around 295 bucks per week. So how do ya'll manage getting a flat or studio flat with such an income ?

ReputationRep:
    Student accommodation? House shares? But £500 a week income? On minimum wage of £5.30, that is a 97 hour week! Or are most students in London secret investment bankers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Student accommodation? House shares? But £500 a week income? On minimum wage of £5.30, that is a 97 hour week! Or are most students in London secret investment bankers?
    Neither accommodation or sharing a house, studio flat for an individual.
    And yeah i made a mistake there its 500 bucks per month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamerro)
    Neither accommodation or sharing a house, studio flat for an individual.
    And yeah i made a mistake there its 500 bucks per month.
    Ah - well on that sort of income you aren't going to get a studio flat anywhere unless you have a rich mum and dad.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oh cmon, most places in london pay at least 6-7 pounds. And I'm pretty sure minimum wage is 6.50. My friend who works at GBK was earning minimum wage and he was getting 800 a month when he did full time over the summer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Oh cmon, most places in london pay at least 6-7 pounds. And I'm pretty sure minimum wage is 6.50. My friend who works at GBK was earning minimum wage and he was getting 800 a month when he did full time over the summer...
    I think you must have misread the thread. Even £800 a month won't afford you a studio flat. And even if it did, how would you attend university if you were working full time?

ReputationRep:
    I think you must have misread the thread. Even £800 a month won't afford you a studio flat. And even if it did, how would you attend university if you were working full time?
    No you misunderstood my post. I'm not saying you can find a studio flat for £800 in London, I'm saying your salary values are way off. Minimum wage may be 5 something for outside london but for london, generally, most places pay above minimum wage allowing you to live in a shared house but not a studio flat.

ReputationRep:
    No, you misunderstood my post. I'm not saying you can find a studio flat for £800, I'm just pointing out that your approximate figures for salaries are way off.
    Oh - I understand your post. But it is irrelevant to this thread which is asking the question "If a student earns £500 a month but a flat costs £1200 a month, how do you live?" I have no idea what the hourly rate is so I went on the minimum wage as an assumption. It isn't a bad assumption to make although I admit your mate may well earn more.

ReputationRep:
    Oh - I understand your post. But it is irrelevant to this thread which is asking the question "If a student earns £500 a month but a flat costs £1200 a month, how do you live?" I have no idea what the hourly rate is so I went on the minimum wage as an assumption. It isn't a bad assumption to make although I admit your mate may well earn more.
    Well it might be irrelevant to the thread, but if you actually pay attention to the question then you'll realise it's a really idiotic question in the first place, and one that shouldn't even be asked

ReputationRep:
    Well it might be irrelevant to the thread, but if you actually pay attention to the question then you'll realise it's a really idiotic question in the first place, and one that shouldn't even be asked
    I just shared the figure i have noticed, what i wanted to know was if students in London normally earn like 400-500 per month, how do they manage gettin flats or some studio flats in Central London?
    I did not mentioned about any particular flat/studio flat.

ReputationRep:
    well they clearly dont get studio flats when they are earning that much, derp. strong numerical skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamerro)
    Normally as i have noticed around here, the students earn 500 pounds per month on an average but like the cost of a simple studio flat in London is around 295 bucks per week. So how do ya'll manage getting a flat or studio flat with such an income ?
    Well, you don't. You get to share a tiny room in some ex-council flat in zone 2 in Brixton, at best.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.