Turn on thread page Beta

lean gains and....milk - do they mix? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Since having started exercising in June, i am happy with the progress i`ve made.

But i was wondering about the consumption of milk when trying to get lean mass.

Firstly, in cutting, I`m not quite where i`d like to be body fat wise (12.5%), and know that milk has some benefits for overall health - but i`m wondering what the correct amout for assisting the diet in terms of bone density and overall health, with some muscle gain - without gaining (or seeming to assist in gaining) fat? (when i start to make more gains that is)

I know of the healthier alternatives like Almond milk etc, but from a pure protein content - v- fat content - that`s where my confusion/dillema comes in.

i have started drinking milk - semi-skimmed - one glass every 2 days (never did before)

Please tell me i won`t get fat from this!

(i`d drop it like it`s hot if i did!)

ReputationRep:
    why not drink chocolate milk as a post workout drink? its an extremely popular choice for lifters - the nutrition content is the same and the added sugar etc. is ideal for post workout - for more information just google it

ReputationRep:
    You won't get fat from eating or drinking anything. You'll get fat from drinking too much - focus on cutting first before trying to build muscle. You can't lose fat and gain muscle together at any decent rate.

It boils down to calories out>calories in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You won't get fat.

This **** only matters to body builders during pre-contest prep. 99.99% of the population needn't worry at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasufel)
    Since having started exercising in June, i am happy with the progress i`ve made.

But i was wondering about the consumption of milk when trying to get lean mass.

Firstly, in cutting, I`m not quite where i`d like to be body fat wise (12.5%), and know that milk has some benefits for overall health - but i`m wondering what the correct amout for assisting the diet in terms of bone density and overall health, with some muscle gain - without gaining (or seeming to assist in gaining) fat? (when i start to make more gains that is)

I know of the healthier alternatives like Almond milk etc, but from a pure protein content - v- fat content - that`s where my confusion/dillema comes in.

i have started drinking milk - semi-skimmed - one glass every 2 days (never did before)

Please tell me i won`t get fat from this!

(i`d drop it like it`s hot if i did!)
    Just drink non-fat/skimmed milk.problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    For things like bone density, although I don't particularly worry about it, I make sure I have high volume loaded movements as part of my program such as squats, overhead press etc. I also supplement with Vitamin D3, however there is newish research to suggest Vit D3 supplementation and cutting isn't creating an optimal environment for fatloss, but whatever I don't care.

I'd rather advocate whole milk, although it's higher calories. I don't like processed milk such as semi-skimmed,skimmed for various reasons that aren't relevant to the thread.

ReputationRep:
    you won't get fat from any one particular food source, you get fat from a caloric surplus, do some reading from the stickies because your nutrition knowledge is lacking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    you won't get fat from any one particular food source, you get fat from a caloric surplus, do some reading from the stickies because your nutrition knowledge is lacking.
    I'm already so bored of explaining this to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasufel)
    That's not really any amount of milk to be worried over.

Drinking lots of milk can get you fat, but it also helps with extra protein and calories.

I drank about 2 liters a day for a few months, but ended up sick. Could be just me, could be an unpasteurized batch, but it's been said that drinking milk as an adult is not healthy. I personally am not coming near that stuff any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    Just use skimmed milk, the fat is really low, read the label.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    I'm already so bored of explaining this to people.
    He's been told so many times. Broken records etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's actually a bulking diet consisting of just (whole) milk, look up GOMAD on NerdFitness.com.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's not that great but you can have oats made with water (which is what a lot of body builders use) but you can add different toppings: honey, fruit, nuts, sweetener, cinnamon etc

Semi-skimmed is okay, such as a glass a day or with tea/coffee but obviously not with every meal. Try chocolate milk, it's got 8 grams of protein in one serving.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.