Neglecting the digestive system, what would happen? Watch

BORN2BEWILDER
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey all,

I've written a 100,000 word science fiction novel for young adults and, despite me having to accept some scientific holes I'm determined to maintain a degree of accuracy in the edited/finished product. With this in mind what would happen to the digestive system if all the nutrients required for a human to survive were put into the body intravenously? In this scenario the people applying to this method of feeding would not drink water or ingest food in the normal way. Would the digestive system become dormant? Would it become infected or swollen? Any replies would be helpful!

Thanks!
username1689349
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have no idea what u just said
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is the book about cooking?
themedicalgeek
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Interesting question. I've not ever had the need to think about this question before but this is a particularly interesting issue with regards to patients who have survived a critical illness.

If a patient is seriously ill on intensive care or just after significant gastrointestinal surgery, nutrition is usually provided by parentral methods (IV route) and this poses a problem called 're-feeding syndrome' which is a potentially serious issue if oral food and liquid intake is not re-commenced in a controlled way so it is worth looking that up.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most of the patients on long term TPN (IV nutrition) are on it because their bowel isn't working for whatever reason - either acutely in ICU or long-term because of things like Crohn's or short gut syndrome following surgery. So I'm not really sure what would happen if you gave it to someone with a normal gut whilst not allowing any oral intake.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (29)
12.72%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
14.04%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
11.84%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30.26%

Watched Threads