Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I went to see my GP and she told me it sounded like depression/I have depression (with anxiety), however I feel like I've gone away from this with so many questions and wondered if anyone could help in any way?

First of all, does this mean I have depression? Is this a diagnosis/do I have it officially? I don't quite understand what would make it official.

I was told to get an appointment with IAPT, could anyone give me more information about this as she basically just said it's therapy. I have a phone assessment booked so I'm guessing they can tell me more then but can anyone tell me experiences with this? Or what they do exactly?

I have the choice of medication, she didn't go into specifics because I said I wasn't sure and wanted to think about it first. It's a broad question but could anyone give me information on this? Or their experiences with medication?
    What is she likely to give me? What side affects may occur? Is it a good or bad idea? etc etc

I'm just feeling a little confused about it all, I have so many questions but don't see her for another 4 weeks. Any help with any of this is appreciated.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably take that as being "official" though I guess it depends what you mean by official exactly? Do you need a diagnosis for school/university for instance?

As for medication, it could take 6-8 weeks to see improvement - it's not always the "quick-fix" that people think. To start with the side effects are usually not too bad, though it depends on the individual and the medication. Stuff you might experience: sleeping problems (too much/too little/weird dreams), nausea, headaches, general aches/pains, appetite problems (too much/too little), sun sensitivity, dry mouth, sexual problems. I've been on a lot of different medications for depression and only one was so bad side effect wise that I had to quit it, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Whether it's a good idea or not, depends on the severity of your depression. Medication is no better than placebo for mild depression, but they can work for moderate -> severe depression and can really help. They're not "happy pills" though, the effect is more to bring you out of the pit so you can help yourself get better more easily. Medication with therapy is often the best way of overcoming depression. I don't really know much about IAPT, but I'm guessing they'll offer you some sessions of CBT. I have heard that sometimes they don't offer enough sessions just because they're so oversubscribed.

Hope this helps! If you've got any other questions I can try to answer them for you.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    I'd probably take that as being "official" though I guess it depends what you mean by official exactly? Do you need a diagnosis for school/university for instance?

As for medication, it could take 6-8 weeks to see improvement - it's not always the "quick-fix" that people think. To start with the side effects are usually not too bad, though it depends on the individual and the medication. Stuff you might experience: sleeping problems (too much/too little/weird dreams), nausea, headaches, general aches/pains, appetite problems (too much/too little), sun sensitivity, dry mouth, sexual problems. I've been on a lot of different medications for depression and only one was so bad side effect wise that I had to quit it, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Whether it's a good idea or not, depends on the severity of your depression. Medication is no better than placebo for mild depression, but they can work for moderate -> severe depression and can really help. They're not "happy pills" though, the effect is more to bring you out of the pit so you can help yourself get better more easily. Medication with therapy is often the best way of overcoming depression. I don't really know much about IAPT, but I'm guessing they'll offer you some sessions of CBT. I have heard that sometimes they don't offer enough sessions just because they're so oversubscribed.

Hope this helps! If you've got any other questions I can try to answer them for you.
    Thank you so much for your reply.

I ask about the 'official' part because I'm mostly just curious as so whether it would say somewhere now that I do have depression. It also could come up at university as I have to have health checks because I'm doing a health subject. I also ask though because what if I want to talk to someone about it, I didn't know if I should say 'I have depression' or not because it might not be official. I mean, I pretty much do, I'm having to have treatment and whatnot but I don't know, I feel like it shouldn't be so much of a 'you probably have depression' kind of thing... That probably doesn't make sense... It's not anything too important, it would just help me understand, do I or might I have it kind of thing, even though yeah I pretty much do have it... I'm just not sure if it's official...

Thanks for the information, I'm aware of the things like that it might take a while, that kind of thing was explained, however mostly by someone else. I will have to look into it and get more advice. You've helped me worry a bit less about side effects though. I should probably also speak to my doctor about it some more. She did say it wasn't anything she would push but it would probably help out with the therapy as they go well together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you so much for your reply.

I ask about the 'official' part because I'm mostly just curious as so whether it would say somewhere now that I do have depression. It also could come up at university as I have to have health checks because I'm doing a health subject. I also ask though because what if I want to talk to someone about it, I didn't know if I should say 'I have depression' or not because it might not be official. I mean, I pretty much do, I'm having to have treatment and whatnot but I don't know, I feel like it shouldn't be so much of a 'you probably have depression' kind of thing... That probably doesn't make sense... It's not anything too important, it would just help me understand, do I or might I have it kind of thing, even though yeah I pretty much do have it... I'm just not sure if it's official...

Thanks for the information, I'm aware of the things like that it might take a while, that kind of thing was explained, however mostly by someone else. I will have to look into it and get more advice. You've helped me worry a bit less about side effects though. I should probably also speak to my doctor about it some more. She did say it wasn't anything she would push but it would probably help out with the therapy as they go well together.
    Given what you've said the doc said, I think she would probably have put it in your medical records - if that's what you mean by "somewhere". I think asking your doctor directly would be the best way to find out exactly whether you *have* depression given that you might need to tell occupational health for your course. For now, from what I know about these occupational health people, I think you'd be fine saying the doctor said it sounds like depression and you're getting therapy/meds to treat it.

Yeah, the best treatment for depression is often a combination of meds and therapy but it's good she's not going to push you into the drug route. Tbh, I've taken various different MH meds and antidepressants are by far the most tolerable side effect wise. But it does depend on the person as I've said. Maybe do some internet research into the ones she suggested? (though be careful as people are generally more likely to complain about side effects they did get than people who got few/any.) But yes, talk things over with her. Some ADs can be better for some symptoms - for example if you've lost your appetite or can't sleep then mirtazapine can be really useful at fixing those problems along with your depression. Your doctor will be able to use your symptoms to make an educated decision about which to prescribe you.

Hope it goes well.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Given what you've said the doc said, I think she would probably have put it in your medical records - if that's what you mean by "somewhere". I think asking your doctor directly would be the best way to find out exactly whether you *have* depression given that you might need to tell occupational health for your course. For now, from what I know about these occupational health people, I think you'd be fine saying the doctor said it sounds like depression and you're getting therapy/meds to treat it.

Yeah, the best treatment for depression is often a combination of meds and therapy but it's good she's not going to push you into the drug route. Tbh, I've taken various different MH meds and antidepressants are by far the most tolerable side effect wise. But it does depend on the person as I've said. Maybe do some internet research into the ones she suggested? (though be careful as people are generally more likely to complain about side effects they did get than people who got few/any.) But yes, talk things over with her. Some ADs can be better for some symptoms - for example if you've lost your appetite or can't sleep then mirtazapine can be really useful at fixing those problems along with your depression. Your doctor will be able to use your symptoms to make an educated decision about which to prescribe you.

Hope it goes well.
    Thanks, this was really helpful

ReputationRep:
    Depression as a diagnosis is pretty final but don't make that worry you. If you've been depressed and felt depressed, a diagnosis is only putting a label on it. It's important that you get help and you get to talk to people who understand what you are going through and what can help you. Reading up on depression can help you understand about it and just realise whatever you're feeling; high or low, is normal & part of the disease.

I hope it goes well and you can battle through this.

(Original post by bethwalker85)
    Depression as a diagnosis is pretty final but don't make that worry you. If you've been depressed and felt depressed, a diagnosis is only putting a label on it. It's important that you get help and you get to talk to people who understand what you are going through and what can help you. Reading up on depression can help you understand about it and just realise whatever you're feeling; high or low, is normal & part of the disease.

I hope it goes well and you can battle through this.
    Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.