The Student Room Group

I'm a Physiotherapy student ask me anything

I'm studying Physiotherapy. I'm in my first year of the accelerated masters course but happy to answer anything as the course content is fundamentally the same as the 3 year BSc, the masters just incorporates writing at masters level and having less time to do things therefore being a lot more intense than the BSc :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi

I've moved this thread to the physiotherapy forum, as we don't allow AMAs in Applications and UCAS.
Original post by Lolala1234
I'm studying Physiotherapy. I'm in my first year of the accelerated masters course but happy to answer anything as the course content is fundamentally the same as the 3 year BSc, the masters just incorporates writing at masters level and having less time to do things therefore being a lot more intense than the BSc :smile:

What ratio of the course is assessed by placements and assignments?

Also how are the placements assessed?

How intense is the workload? (Hours per week)

Currently applying to do physiotherapy Bsc and wanted to know these details.

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Jake D 123
What ratio of the course is assessed by placements and assignments?

Also how are the placements assessed?

How intense is the workload? (Hours per week)

Currently applying to do physiotherapy Bsc and wanted to know these details.

Thanks!

We haven't been told the ratio of assessment in relation to placements and assignments, but placements are assessed on things such as professionalism, knowledge and application, interpersonal and inter professional skills. The assessments are Vivas for my course which is just a practical examination and then we have some written coursework and presentations throughout the year. Not all courses are the same though so look at details for different unis. We are in 9-4 Monday to Friday but we get Wednesdays off, however we have set reading for Wednesdays and I do about 2-3 hours extra work every night plus full days on the weekends. The BSc won't be anywhere near as intense as you have a lot longer to cover each area, but you will most likely still be in 9-4, you'll just spend more time covering things and won't move on as fast as my course does. They say, when you are on this course it is equivalent to a full time job. So I guess for the BSc you would be expected to be productive for a minimum of 37-38 hours per week including lectures.
Reply 4
Hey Lolala! I'm a third year biomedical science student looking to apply within the next few months for pre-reg physiotherapy. I've got some shadow days coming up and work as a carer, but other than that have you got any recommendations for relevant experience gain/insight? May I ask what your background is and why you decided on going through the pre-reg process? I'm really excited to begin applying and have a few choice universities in mind (Teesside being one) - however where did you decide to go and why? Was anything different than you expected it to be? Sorry, I'm not trying to make you write an essay, but I am very interested to hear what about your experience! Cheers bud :smile:
Original post by Jamflex
Hey Lolala! I'm a third year biomedical science student looking to apply within the next few months for pre-reg physiotherapy. I've got some shadow days coming up and work as a carer, but other than that have you got any recommendations for relevant experience gain/insight? May I ask what your background is and why you decided on going through the pre-reg process? I'm really excited to begin applying and have a few choice universities in mind (Teesside being one) - however where did you decide to go and why? Was anything different than you expected it to be? Sorry, I'm not trying to make you write an essay, but I am very interested to hear what about your experience! Cheers bud :smile:

Hey I did biomed too for my first degree! I think that work experience is great. I had hospital shadowing, private and community shadowing and I worked for a year in the NHS. I decided on the pre reg because I just wanted to get my head down and do the course and then get out into the real world, I felt the BSc would be too slow and it would also work out a lot more expensive paying for 3 years of accommodation etc. I didn't have much of a decision to make as I got a 2:2 so could only apply to Essex this year, however before I got my results last year I had interviews at Northumbria and Teesside too. They are both really nice, but even now I would still pick Essex. The facilities are better at the other 2 but the area and uni here is so much nicer and it's closer to home for me. It's much harder coming from a science background compared to those who have a sports therapy background and there's a lot of work, but if you apply yourself correctly then it's manageable. I wouldn't say anything has been unexpected but I'm finding it great being in a close knit cohort of 30 we all get along so well and every day is really enjoyable even if it's shattering!
Reply 6
Original post by Physflop
Hey I did biomed too for my first degree! I think that work experience is great. I had hospital shadowing, private and community shadowing and I worked for a year in the NHS. I decided on the pre reg because I just wanted to get my head down and do the course and then get out into the real world, I felt the BSc would be too slow and it would also work out a lot more expensive paying for 3 years of accommodation etc. I didn't have much of a decision to make as I got a 2:2 so could only apply to Essex this year, however before I got my results last year I had interviews at Northumbria and Teesside too. They are both really nice, but even now I would still pick Essex. The facilities are better at the other 2 but the area and uni here is so much nicer and it's closer to home for me. It's much harder coming from a science background compared to those who have a sports therapy background and there's a lot of work, but if you apply yourself correctly then it's manageable. I wouldn't say anything has been unexpected but I'm finding it great being in a close knit cohort of 30 we all get along so well and every day is really enjoyable even if it's shattering!

Cheers for the extra feedback pal! Ultimately I regret not applying for physiotherapy instead of biomed because it feels like a time sink, however I was relatively undecided where in the NHS i wanted to fit in. I knew I wanted to go into a medically orientated role, but whether that was the ambulance service, physiotherapy, biomedical scientist or post-grad medicine I did not know. I'm really happy that over the course of the last few years I've managed to focus in! How long have you been studying in pre-reg then? Now that I think about it - what sort of backgrounds do others have on your course? Cheers!
Reply 7
Original post by Jamflex
Cheers for the extra feedback pal! Ultimately I regret not applying for physiotherapy instead of biomed because it feels like a time sink, however I was relatively undecided where in the NHS i wanted to fit in. I knew I wanted to go into a medically orientated role, but whether that was the ambulance service, physiotherapy, biomedical scientist or post-grad medicine I did not know. I'm really happy that over the course of the last few years I've managed to focus in! How long have you been studying in pre-reg then? Now that I think about it - what sort of backgrounds do others have on your course? Cheers!

So sorry I don't know how I've only just seen this post! I'm only in my first term so not been here long but it feels longer than it has been! There's a couple of biomeds, biology and similar on my course, then the majority of people have sports science or sports therapy background, with the odd one completely different like psychology etc
Reply 8
So sorry I don't know how I've only just seen this post! I'm only in my first term so not been here long but it feels longer than it has been! There's a couple of biomeds, biology and similar on my course, then the majority of people have sports science or sports therapy background, with the odd one completely different like psychology etc

No worries dude. That's quite a diverse range of individuals - do you feel the sports science folk have a leg up on us biomed? The latter portion of this course is focussed on a lot more of clinical intervention at the molecular level, rather than on the macro scale. I wouldn't be apposed to brushing up my anatomy though, that is, if i was to be accepted!
Reply 9
Original post by Jamflex
No worries dude. That's quite a diverse range of individuals - do you feel the sports science folk have a leg up on us biomed? The latter portion of this course is focussed on a lot more of clinical intervention at the molecular level, rather than on the macro scale. I wouldn't be apposed to brushing up my anatomy though, that is, if i was to be accepted!

The sports therapy students have a bit of a head start as they have used manual techniques in their degree and have done a lot of anatomy. Sports science have done a bit of anatomy but aren't that far ahead of the rest of us. If you're applying for the 3 year route you won't need to pre-learn as the anatomy is all taught on the course, but for the 2 year route you need to learn a lot of anatomy before you go, however it is much easier to pick up once you've started the course so don't panic too much. And although sports therapy people have some head start, it's also beneficial to come in with a fresh physio brain and no prior knowledge of therapy in a uni environment, so it's a level playing field mostly!
Reply 10
Hey,I am applying to study Physiotherapy this year. I got an interview next month. I'm just wondering, what questions did they ask? And how many people was in the interview room? Thanks!
Hi. As a physio student, what are you meant to wear on normal days for lectures and stuff? Is there a uniform or something or do I need to invest in lots of shorts and tshirts? Thanks :smile:
Original post by pereh009
Hi. As a physio student, what are you meant to wear on normal days for lectures and stuff? Is there a uniform or something or do I need to invest in lots of shorts and tshirts? Thanks :smile:

It depends on the uni, some make you wear the uni physio polo and trackies and some don't care what you wear. But you will need to invest in shorts and a good sports bra for practical sessions!
Original post by Physflop
It depends on the uni, some make you wear the uni physio polo and trackies and some don't care what you wear. But you will need to invest in shorts and a good sports bra for practical sessions!

Ok cool. Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm a bit nervous, I'm starting in less than a month o.O
Original post by pereh009
Ok cool. Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm a bit nervous, I'm starting in less than a month o.O

Don't be nervous you'll love it! Best decision I ever made
Hi, I'm planning on applying to physiotherapy courses in a few weeks and I am currently carrying out research on physiotherapy, so that I know what to talk about if I get invited to an interview. I was wondering if you could clear something up for me because I cant seem to find a clear answer anywhere. During my time shadowing a physio in a private clinic she said that some people prefer private clinics because the NHS has a hands off policy, however during my time in a hospital on work experience a few months later, I asked the physio about this because she had been hand on with the lady she was treating and she said this wasn't the case. I'm inclined to believe the physio from the hospital but I have seen articles online about the hand off policy. Do you know what the truth is? Is it something has has recently been over turned?Thanks in advance
Reply 16

Hi I'm a first year undergrad physio student and finding the anatomy really hard! I'm so so so scared about my anatomy exam coming after Christmas! Have you got any tips? Thanks
@anonomon ask your questions here maybe

Hey, im currently studying my GCSEs and am thinking about my A-levels. I think i want to be a physiotherapist in like a sports enviroment.
I was thinking of taking Biology, English Lit and Lang, Business.
Would these be alright to take because i thought that business would be like a back up plan ??? Btw I enjoy these subjects the most.

How do i know if i will enjoy studying and doing this ??
Is it a hard subject to understand and learn ??? ( maybe some examples )

Does studying it ever get boring ???
Reply 19
Original post by anonomon
Hey, im currently studying my GCSEs and am thinking about my A-levels. I think i want to be a physiotherapist in like a sports enviroment.
I was thinking of taking Biology, English Lit and Lang, Business.
Would these be alright to take because i thought that business would be like a back up plan ??? Btw I enjoy these subjects the most.

How do i know if i will enjoy studying and doing this ??
Is it a hard subject to understand and learn ??? ( maybe some examples )

Does studying it ever get boring ???

The anatomy is verrrrry very boring and be prapared to work hard because the work load is no way near gcse or a level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending