Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Maths. Extremely employable, well respected, etc.

Most importantly you enjoy it! At uni it's more about time and effort put into work. If you can't see that happening with Psych, but do with Maths, then that's your answer!

In comparison Psych is like media studies to Maths. I study Psych!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Maths. Extremely employable, well respected, etc.

Most importantly you enjoy it! At uni it's more about time and effort put into work. If you can't see that happening with Psych, but do with Maths, then that's your answer!

In comparison Psych is like media studies to Maths. I study Psych!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your reply. Do you know if the available careers after both are similar, e.g. you can go into similar ones with either degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AQuestion1)
    Thanks for your reply. Do you know if the available careers after both are similar, e.g. you can go into similar ones with either degree?
    Why don't you look at what you want to do later on in life. Research that career, find out things like employability, demand for that job, etc. Then you would see where you could go.

Maths is an extremely versatile subject but even then it won't encompass Psych jobs.

Most Psych grads go into retail supermarkets. Not joking. At doctorate Psych level you would find jobs such in the clinical/medical field.

But like I say just google away, research, and then ask the fine details on here.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you look at what you want to do later on in life. Research that career, find out things like employability, demand for that job, etc. Then you would see where you could go.

Maths is an extremely versatile subject but even then it won't encompass Psych jobs.

Most Psych grads go into retail supermarkets. Not joking. At doctorate Psych level you would find jobs such in the clinical/medical field.

But like I say just google away, research, and then ask the fine details on here.
    I know that you can go into advertising, marketing, law etc. with a Psychology degree.
    I understand what you mean. I am not sure yet what I want to do later, it will depend on the pay and how interested I am. I do know I would love to study Maths because if you want to go into science, you can do so.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

TrojanH, I suppose I would enjoy doing something to do with either music and dance, or the sciences. I am very interested in Maths but I also think Physics and other sciences are interesting. But I don't know if I could do them for a living or not. As you said, Maths is very versatile and I think if I still wanted to do something with humanities (e.g. journalism, counselling, etc.), I understand you can still do them with a Mathematics degree but going into something more scientific with Psychology would be more difficult?I am not sure at all about what I want to do. I am thinking about what the best options would be.Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AQuestion1)
    TrojanH, I suppose I would enjoy doing something to do with either music and dance, or the sciences. I am very interested in Maths but I also think Physics and other sciences are interesting. But I don't know if I could do them for a living or not. As you said, Maths is very versatile and I think if I still wanted to do something with humanities (e.g. journalism, counselling, etc.), I understand you can still do them with a Mathematics degree but going into something more scientific with Psychology would be more difficult?I am not sure at all about what I want to do. I am thinking about what the best options would be.Thank you for your help!
    If you're a good candidate your degree (if in maths) won't limit you. Get a decent grade and pretty much every door will open up.

For example this tech firm hired two recent grads. One, from an RG uni and a non tech degree. Other, from a middle uni and a tech degree. Both doing really well in said job.

Maths is just way more respected. Literally can go anywhere.

Any way you need to narrow down on what you would be happy with doing for the rest of your time. Careers in the humanities vary greatly. Counselling and journalism are two very different things. Also, if you wanted to do that you can always get a MA conversion and have both maths bsc and a humanities master. Don't think it's that easy the other way around with Psych tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Do you think it is viable to do this? Like I said, I would need to work for one year to earn the money for a year; I would need to retake my high school final exams; and then I could apply and go from the beginning of course.
    On the other hand, it will be difficult to do it at all once I finish this. It will definitely cost much more.
    What would you suggest in this situation?
    Thanks again for all replies.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.